PDA

View Full Version : 12v Rule Pump Question

SeanD
12-26-2014, 10:21 PM
The 12v transfer pumps out there like the Little Giant are just too slow for pumping from collection tanks up to my truck, so I'm now looking at the submersible Rule pumps many of you use.

Most come with 6' of cord. After I drop it into the barrel, it doesn't leave much to reach the truck. How did you cover that distance? Did you extend your 12v lead from the truck or did you splice in and extend the leads from the pump? I'll need to cover about 10-20' from the truck to the collection tanks.

Thanks,
Sean

jmayerl
12-26-2014, 10:36 PM
I simply spliced in some small trailer wiring and a on/ off switch. I would imagine that fairly long lead could be put on it without a problem

SeanD
12-26-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks. The on/off switch is a good idea. I was looking at the automatic types that sense liquid to turn on. Did you get the non-automatic type and install a float switch or is it normally on/closed without the float switch?

Super Sapper
12-27-2014, 05:24 AM
I wire my 12 volt equipment with standard 110 volt extension cord ends, that way I can just use an extension cord if I need to reach farther. After thinking about it lately, it may have been better to put the female end on the pump instead of the male to keep someone from plugging it into the wall and frying it but I am the only one to use the stuff now so I should be Ok. I also wired in an outdoor light switch into a box in the middle of a short cord and can use it with either 12 volt or 110 volt.

SeanD
12-27-2014, 06:30 AM
That's another great idea. The 12v at the truck is just wire right now. The previous owner cut off whatever he had there and taped off the end. I've been thinking about what to put there and how I want to deal with the alligator clips on the pump.

Thanks for the tip.

Sean

Super Sapper
12-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Most 12 volt connectors are not built real sturdy so this worked for me. I learned about it on a fishing site for wiring in downriggers. Make sure you are consistent with the polarity of the wires or you can run your pumps backwards.

wishlist
12-27-2014, 08:27 AM
I have 2 tanks on the truck. A 275 gallon tote and a smaller 50 gallon flat tank. I collect from bags and have some tubing ran into roadside coolers. The 50 gallon flat makes it nice dumping the bags.I put a trailer connector on the end and plug it into the truck, I use the running lights to turn off/on the pump. That way as I dump bags into the flat 50 and it starts to fill I will pump into the 275 as I'm going to the next roadsides .

Sugarmaker
01-03-2015, 08:39 AM
Sean,
We run two of the Rule pumps for gathering along the road. The Rule in the dumping station on the back of the truck is a 3000 gph. and the one on the remote hose that I take about 20 feet from the truck is a 2700 gph (I think). I just wired these to plug into the trailer outlets on the truck. The remote one has the wires for taped to the hose. I put a toggle switch at the remote pump. Yes there were pictures on here at one time:) I just dont post much as I spend a lot of time on tractor forums these days.
Hope that helps!
Regards,
Chris

SeanD
01-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks. That's the direction I'm going to go. This has been really helpful. What do you use for hose? I use this one for pumping up to the head tank in the sugar house.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=74557

It doesn't kink, but it's also not the most flexible in the cold. It's not too big of a deal because I don't have to move it much. I'd prefer something more flexible for this job.

Sean

Sugarmaker
01-07-2015, 03:00 PM
For hose we use 1.5 dia pool hose. Very flexible. 1 inch dia. hose may work fine and be even easier to handle.
Regards,
Chris

SeanD
01-07-2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks. That's got to be a lot easier to handle than the stuff I have. I would have thought it would get brittle in the cold. Good to hear it works.

Thanks again,
Sean