PDA

View Full Version : According to the extended forcast, it's time to tap!

nace
12-25-2014, 10:18 PM
I'm tapping Sunday! The extended forcast for southern Kentucky looks great all the way to February. I was hoping for a freeze Saturday night for Sunday tapping but I can't wait. Gonna try to squeez in another 100 taps for a total of 350. One of the local farmers (need more acres), got more acres and built a commercial kitchen and now I'll be able to put a little in a store where the owner has been begging me for 3 years for a display.

unc23win
12-25-2014, 10:33 PM
That's great news let us know how it goes for you. Good Luck!

sugarman3
12-26-2014, 05:49 AM
Good luck Kentuck'in,hope you get lot of the sweet stuff

buckeye gold
12-26-2014, 01:48 PM
I've had early taps out since the 15th and runs have been sporadic, but I've made about three gallons of dark syrup off these 40 taps. Should really pick up this week. I'm in Southern Ohio

nace
12-29-2014, 11:33 AM
the extended forecast changed so i decided to tap on january 1 and i can take care of some minor details like the string of lights on the sugarshack trail....just one of the never ending somethings.

treeguy
01-07-2015, 04:37 PM
Well how are things Nace? You get started?

? for you, You have 350 taps on 3 1/2 acres so what size are most of the trees? about how many trees are you tapping? I was thinking it must be a dense hill side with mostly just sugar trees..love to check it out sometime

nace
01-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Hi tre guy. Most of my trees are over 20' dia and a good third of them are over 25'. I'm trying to tap all of them. I just started today, I've been delayed due to my wife's illness so I wasn't quite ready. Put in 40-50 today and I was having to rearrange some tubing as I went, mainly because I didn't like the end ring connectors worked. Instead of running the tubing through the connector and around the tree, I'm now using 1/4" Polly rope. I ran another 500' of 1/2" mainline the other day to pick up 6 trees I hadn't tapped before. I took advantage of the forestery stewardship program 5 years ago, and the forester pointed out that someone had logged here 50 years ago and a few maples seeded the whole area. There are plenty of hickory, oak, gum, beech and poplar also with a few royal paulownia, pawpaw and hickan (pecan/hickory cross).

Schiefe4
01-07-2015, 08:00 PM
Hi tre guy. Most of my trees are over 20' dia and a good third of them are over 25'. I'm trying to tap all of them. I just started today, I've been delayed due to my wife's illness so I wasn't quite ready. Put in 40-50 today and I was having to rearrange some tubing as I went, mainly because I didn't like the end ring connectors worked. Instead of running the tubing through the connector and around the tree, I'm now using 1/4" Polly rope. I ran another 500' of 1/2" mainline the other day to pick up 6 trees I hadn't tapped before. I took advantage of the forestery stewardship program 5 years ago, and the forester pointed out that someone had logged here 50 years ago and a few maples seeded the whole area. There are plenty of hickory, oak, gum, beech and poplar also with a few royal paulownia, pawpaw and hickan (pecan/hickory cross).

20'-25' diameter! kentucky trees are huge!