PDA

View Full Version : Stove pipe

Fleman202
12-24-2014, 01:13 PM
I am Getting ready to build an evaporator and need advice on the exhaust pipe. It is going to be a 2 by 8 setup.

How tall of pipe should I have?

Do I just connect the pipe right behind the flat pan or is there some special exhaust chamber to consider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psparr
12-24-2014, 02:12 PM
The rule of thumb is twice the height of the evaporator. So your case would be 16'. You want to distribute the heat across the back pan, thats what the wide stack base does. If not the heat gets channelled to a narrow point and you lose efficiency.

maple flats
12-24-2014, 02:35 PM
And the stack should be a minimum of 10". You can make the base out of a steel barrel. Just cut it in half lengthwise, then cut it in half across the middle. Then determine how much to remove before you weld the 2 pieces back together. Then you can cut a hole in the top for the stack and weld on a steel ring to insert the stack into. For 2' wide arch, you can put the shortenen half barrel on so the base curves up from each side, for wider arches the barrel would mount the opposite direction.

Sugarmaker
01-03-2015, 08:44 AM
I assume your building a wood fired arch? If so then yes 2 times the length of the arch is about right, as recommended. And the 10 inch dia pipe would be a good place to start.
Good luck on your arch build.
Regards,
Chris

Fleman202
01-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to have to wait a year to finish this project. Work got really busy and I can't put all the time I want into the details I would like to. So instead of rushing it and not ending up with what I want I will tap a few less trees and use what I had last year. I am also building my own drop flue pan and that needs more time as well!

Pauly V
01-24-2015, 11:42 AM
wow..Thats impressive . Best of luck!