PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up Remote Collection

SeanD
12-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Last year I had one 55-gal barrel set up for some taps on another property. I didn't have a pump, so I laid the bbl on its side in a cradle on some cinder blocks and fitted it with a valve to fill buckets to haul back to the sugar house. This year I'll be putting out more barrels in different locations and I'll have a pump.

This nice thing about the barrel on its side was that it could sit lower and I could get a little better slope in the tubing. I also had a bucket-sized hole in the side from when I used the same barrel for a bucket dump station. It makes things easier getting in and cleaning. I was wondering if it would make priming the pump easier if I set it on the ground below the valve.

I guess the down-side to setting up a barrel like this is the time and effort to make cradles, fittings, etc. and I'll be doing a lot of them in the future.

Do most of you who use barrels stand them upright and pump out of one of the bungs at the top? Is that just as easy and the pump can handle the initial empty pull? That could be a big time saver if I'm over thinking this.

Sean

maple maniac65
12-20-2014, 10:21 AM
In the past when I have used plastic 55 barrels as collection sites. I laid the barrel on its side and cut the top off with a skil saw. Then used the barrel upright covered with food grade plywood with a hole drilled through it for the tubing to stick through. Downside was that the barrel did not vent so sap got warm.

wishlist
12-20-2014, 06:26 PM
I use big white coolers 120 quart plus. Last year I picked up some on Craigslist for dirt cheap. I remember buying a couple from a lady who had a open house and only used them the 1 time. Looked brand new and for $15 a piece it was a steal. They are low to the ground , don't roll, easy to clean, and keeps sap cool .

Bucket Head
12-20-2014, 11:03 PM
I've done it two ways with the barrel upright. Like above, cutting the top off, but I do it different now. Cutting the top off my barrels made them a little flimsy at the top, so now I just cut a 12' or so hole in the top between the bungs. The hole is big enough to get in there and clean them out and the rigidity of the barrel is retained. I have my suction hose tied to a piece of PVC pipe and stick that in the hole to empty it. I either drill a 5/16 hole in the top or side for the line and I put a fuel line-sized hose clamp on the tube inside of the barrel so it can't come out. That way I'm not handling/moving the line when pumping it out. I just remove my cover and start pumping.

Putting the barrel on its side is a good idea too. If thats what it takes to get a good slope on the tubing, so be it. Just angle your barrel slightly and cut a hole in it at the "low end" and stick your suction hose there. That way you'll get most of the sap out.

Steve

Sugarmaker
12-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Still using Sterlite brand 35 gallon totes with latch lids. This is for roadside trees about 20 taps per tote. We have 31 of these for 600 taps.
Won all three classes of syrup plus best of show this year at largest AG fair in PA (Crawford Co.).
Regards,
Chris

Bucket Head
12-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Chris,

With results like that, you will have to add on the sugarhouse soon- so you have enough wall space for all the awards and ribbons! Lol!

Thats what you call a "sweep" in the sugarmaking business. Congratulations!

Steve

Sugarmaker
12-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks Steve, we try.
Merry Christmas to all Maple Trader folks!
Regards,
Chris

Ed R
12-24-2014, 08:48 AM
Chris, My daughter and I enjoyed the syrup you donated for the fire dept pancake breakfast during LEME. It is award winning syrup. On a side note, my daughter was bumbed that you were unable to do your presentation at LEME in person. She has been practicing with your recipe and other value added recipes from LEME.