PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Finisher and Canner

toothfairy050
12-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Guys, I am still collecting ideas and material for this winter's project of making a homemade finisher and canner. My question is can I use copper nipples and vales instead of SS on a stainless steel container? Another question is can I silver solder the copper nipples for the spigot and thermometer into the stainless steel containers?
Thanks for the help in advance.

BreezyHill
12-19-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes you can use them; provided you use silver solder. I had a leak on my canner and it took all of 5 minutes to heat up the fitting, clean up the fitting and canner surface, melt solder on the fitting and set into the opening. Heated the fitting slowly so that it hit the melting point and dropped into the opening. Added a little more to cool the fitting and it is done.

Use a high quality liquid flux. The paste products don't work as well as the liquid. Did a job with the paste and it took hours to get an ok job. When it failed I had found liquid flux and cleaned the surface, dropped on the flux and the solder was perfectly spread. Has not failed in three years now.