PDA

View Full Version : plumbing sap handing etc.

Greenthumb
12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
I Need a little idea brainstorming. Here is my head tank and evaporator setup. This tank gets filled from sap I collect and pump into the shack from outside. What is not seen (because it's in my basement ) is my homemade ro contraption. The plan is it will be housed below the head tank and I will pump sap in and do ro right there. Last year I did the ro process in the garage where the wife parks her car:o. This year it's all moving to the sugar shack. I know I will need two tanks permeate and water. And than a pump to put concentrated sap back up in the head tank. I figured I would so how use the same pump to empty permeate I don't use. Am I missing anything. I was hoping to use some time off next week to work on the plumbing. Feel free to brainstorm some ideas it's not your money. 10164

psparr
12-17-2014, 07:26 PM
You could tie the sap and permeate tanks together with a shutoff valve on each pipe then a t in the line with a single pipe going into your pump. After the pump would be another t with the permeate line going outside and the sap line going to the head tank?

Greenthumb
12-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Looking for a source for 40-50 gallon food grade verticle tanks. I picked up a caged 275 gallon food tote/tank last week and plan on using that as the gathering/storage tank outside the sap shack. I will pump sap into the head tank to either boil or run through the homemade ro from the caged tote. I am trying to find two verticle food approved water tanks one for concentrate from the RO to pump back up to head tank and one to keep permeate for cleaning. Anyone know of a good source for these type of tanks. I used to use clean garbage cans but after research understand the concerns of non food grade plastics. I only need about 40.-50 gallon tanks with the size of the RO.

psparr
12-27-2014, 07:05 PM
check craigslist for plastic barrels. There's a guy I get them from and they had imitation maple flavoring in them of all things.

mellondome
12-27-2014, 08:48 PM
So you are going to fill your head tank with raw sap.. run it through your ro to another tank.. then pump it back to the head tank to boil? Would be easier to have your ro dump concentrate directly to your head tank... and save pumping so much..keep it simple.

Dump sap into a tank on the ground ( or connect ro to tank in truck/atv/...) permeate goes to a tank for washing and rinsing... concentrate goes to head tank. No additional pumps needed.

Greenthumb
12-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Just ordered one of these to move sap around the sugar shack and unload the tote. http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-6028-aquatec-5513-1e01-j606-pump-60-gpm-12-fpt-115vac.aspx

Not,super fast but should be helpful. I liked the self priming feature

MISugarDaddy
12-30-2014, 04:43 PM
I just sent you a PM for a possible option to get barrels.