PDA

View Full Version : uv filter

Greenthumb
01-18-2007, 12:13 PM
what does any one think of this. would it do any good to use

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=60028-45001-PF1600UV&lpage=none

mapleman3
01-18-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't think I would use it. The filter is a biological filter which means it will build up bacteria inside that eats organics to clean pond/fish water, I think it would clear the sap clarity wise if it was continually filtering it but what would it do to the actuall bacteria that eats the sugar I don't know... maybe you could take the bio mass filter out of it and just use the UV.... the uv is what kills the bacteria, heck it may work if you leave it as is :?: maybe it would'nt breed the bacteria due to the UV.. you would have to look at how the sap goes in and out and what part it goes through first.

so does the bacteria grow in a seperate compartment? eating the organics and sugar? then does the remaining sap go through the UV and sterilize it??

maple flats
01-18-2007, 03:55 PM
Well we now know what mapleman 3 thinks (3x) I tend to agree but will only post it once. My take is that it is not apparently rated for potable water and therefor could jeopardize the sap. I think a SS unit or one specifically rated to treat either drinking water or better yet sap would be better. The main difference between these 2 is the # of gal/min you can treat. I use one for water and it is rated at 8 gpm, but I use it at 5gpm. This means I can not dump a load quickly and treat it at the same time. I have a temp holding tank that I bulk drop into but a second load is back in less than 1 hr and treatment starts then, with a small pump transfering the sap to the main tank by way of the UV. If boiling at the same time it also feeds the evap directly but this likely does little or nothing because as soon as it hits the evap and boils all micro-organisms are killed anyway. If doing it this way be sure to rinse the tanks after each use to keep them clean, especcially the temp tank. I would have to check the price but I can get and ship one of these to you if you want. (I used to be a dealer for them and still maintain my ties, will check price in the AM, I would not sell it at regular price but at a real good for the buyer price.)
Dave

mapleman3
01-18-2007, 04:10 PM
:lol: he he sorry about that. The computer was not sending... Or so I thought. Problem fixed now only 1 mapleman reply to that.

brookledge
01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
That style is designed to run constant in ponds and the GPM is very slow.
I would try to find more specs on it as to how many GPM it can handle while still killing 99% of the bacteria. If it meets your needs then go for it. But if it doesn't kill all of the bacteria in one pass then why bother.
Keith

JasonS
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM
This is the one I just bought on Ebay, I belive this is more along the lines of what your looking for. $100 more than the one from lowes but it should do the job. I'll let you know after the season.

http://cgi.ebay.com/sterilight-whole-House-uv-Water-Filter-system-purifier_W0QQitemZ250014808032QQihZ015QQcategoryZ2 0684QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Jason

brookledge
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
That is the type to buy. Very simmular to the one I have
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
I have a Wedeco 12gpm just like the ones in the Leader catalog and I got it for $ 300 with shipping internet special and it is very similar to the one Jason bought on ebay. If you are going to spend the money, get one of these on ebay. This is an awesome price and all you need is one pass thru it for a good kill. :D