PDA

View Full Version : what brix will cyrstilize or mold syrup after bottling?

grimmreaper
12-14-2014, 09:01 PM
I have been bottling(syrup @ about 68-70brix).I check the syrup before I heat it to can and adjust if needed..my plastic is fine,but the glass will form mold 3-4 out of 12 glass bottles.I would like to get it closer to form sugar after you pour it out of the container(the stuff that runs down the side after you use it.
But I don't want it to crytalize in the glass.....any sugestions!

Sunday Rock Maple
12-14-2014, 09:10 PM
Mold is from a poor seal and/or canning at less that 180 degrees. Crystallization would be from too high of a brix, I don't know the exact number but I know we were getting it in glass before we used to clean the hydrometer with hot water before each use. The small amount of sticky syrup on the stem resulted in too low of a reading --- it doesn't take much.

grimmreaper
12-14-2014, 09:29 PM
I tried heating glass and sterilize them and still get mold in some glass.

psparr
12-15-2014, 07:20 AM
You sure it's mold and not niter?

Cabin
12-15-2014, 09:01 AM
I tried heating glass and sterilize them and still get mold in some glass.

I place glass bottles in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes then let them cool down a bit in the oven before putting the sap in them.

BreezyHill
12-15-2014, 10:49 AM
A few years back we had a problem with glass molding on a shipment of glass. What we decided the issue had to be was that the air pocket at the top of the bottle that formed was insulating the cap and allowing for degradation.

What we do know is to place glass on it's side for at least 2 minutes before it is glassed up right. This time gives good contact time to the cap and kills every thing. We have not had a problem since doing this. Last night had to do a case of pints and half pints and I placed these upside down for a few minutes then flipped and stickered them.

grimmreaper
12-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Its definitely mold,at the top.I'm sure its the bottles...if they were stored in a cool damp place before I got them it could cause an issue.

psparr
12-15-2014, 11:35 AM
I have no problems with mold and don't preheat my bottles. Just be sure to bottle above 180 and lay them on their sides. Good luck to you.

grimmreaper
12-15-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone!!

BreezyHill
12-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Not usually an issue as long as your maple temp is good. I filled a case of the 50 ml maple leaves I run the temp to 195 when filling them as there is so little product to glass ratio that the higher temp insures I have killed everything in the bottle. I lay them on card board to keep the heat in longer.

For all others I fill at 180. Plastic pints get so hot so fast compared to glass, I wish I could run lower heat but not a good idea, as you can have a mold issue under 180.

I would check your temp gauge calibration against boiling water. There is a chance that it is off and you are filling at a temp under 180.

If that isn't the issue then lay the bottles on card board and cover with card board to retain heat longer to kill any microbes, and be sure to fill bottles as full as possible to reduce the air space in the bottle. This will maximize the vacuum that is produce as the syrup contracts in the bottle when cooling.

Hope this corrects the issue.

lpakiz
12-15-2014, 03:16 PM
I second what Ben said about filling the bottles FULL. I fill them as absolutely full as I can, less than a 16th of an inch from the top. I feel this leaves minimal air that could cause spoilage or contain microbes. No problems with mold.

GeneralStark
12-15-2014, 05:13 PM
Whether glass or plastic of any size it is good practice to lay the bottle on its side or tip upside down for several minutes after canning. Especially 5 gallon jugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenseye
01-02-2015, 09:25 AM
I try to fill as close to the top as possible and I fill jars that have been sterilized. I also tip them on their sides a little bit after capping. So far, no problems.

Last year, I did have some issues with my later syrup crystallizing on the bottom after about 6 months of storage. I recall that the syrup was very, very dark and I remember struggling with readings as I was doing the final boil. I bet I over-boiled and the brix was high. I didn't label the batch but I told my wife it was going to be real sweet syrup!

I hope to get better with the hydrometer this year. Last year I used a hydrometer and a refractometer and I liked how quick and easy the refractometer was but I'm not convinced I can trust it yet.