PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

Brad W Wi
01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Today is my last full day of work. I turned 56 last Thursday and am pulling the pin this Thursday. I'll be able to concentrate on syrup this spring instead of trying to work it in between work. Been a long time coming, 33 years. Two things I want to do. What I want and When I want. I got my sugar shack done this summer with the help of a good friend and plan on spending alot of time there.

Fred Henderson
01-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Congradulatios. Now you just need to get in about 3000 taps. :D

brookledge
01-17-2007, 05:20 AM
Congratulations
33 years you deserve it. Now you can expand with all the time you have
Keith

Russell Lampron
01-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Congradulations Brad,

You must be pretty happy considering the time you posted this. It looks like you couldn't sleep. :D

Russ

Dave Y
01-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Congratulations Brad, I am shooting for the same thing only five years to go!

Jim Brown
01-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Congraulation Brad; I'm looking forward to the same thing in two years if God lets me live that long. 25 years carrying a badge is long enought!

Jim

HanginAround
01-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Congratulations!

Brad W Wi
01-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Thank you all for the well wishing. I enjoy this site very much and everyone has been a great help to me. I know, no one personally who taps and everythimg I have learned has come the hard way or from here. I hope before the tapping starts, to have some pictures of my building I put up this past summer as well as the evaporator posted on here. Again Thank You All.

mapleman3
01-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Way to go Brad, and at a good young age too, not too old so you can't enjoy still putting in a good days work BUT for YOURSELF !!!

Enjoy and Happy sugaring.. I'm sure you'll be doing it with a huge smile!! :D

NH Maplemaker
01-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Brad, Congradulations :!: I retired in 2002 at the age of 56 also :lol: Have enjoyed every minite of it. Like you all I want to do is maple :!: :lol: My wife say's I'm nuts :( I tell her , yes nut's and happy :lol: Have fun with it , and good luck :!: :!: Jim L.

Sugarmaker
01-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Brad,
Congratulations! I'm 55 but have 5 or 8 more years. Hey you will have more time to polish that Allis.
Have fun sleeping in and doing maple this year.
Chris

sbingham
01-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Congratulations on your retirement Brad.
I have been watching your posts on the progress of your new sugar house.
I live north of Tony and work in the Ladysmith area - if it would work out I would like to come up to Winter and take a look at your new sugar house and operation some time.
Scott Bingham

maple flats
01-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I retired at 53. Then I got a job driving school bus (for the benifits). Then I started maple, bought a sawmill to do custom sawing, decided to put the needed effort into making my 4.5 acres of blueberries produce better, bought 2 more duplex rental houses. Now I have no time free. In the last 6 months I have only taken 4 days off counting Thanksgiving and Christmas. I need to go back to work so i have some free time!
Maybe yours will be simpler BUT, you know what?, I am doing now what I really enjoy, especially the maple and custom sawing. When I get tired of doing one thing I have many others to chose from and except for the bus driving I can do what I want when I want. As for the benifits, they came in real handy. My wife was diagnosed with cancer last Feb. and for the year without the insurance I would have been owing about $200.000.00 for her treatment, surgery, chemo and radiation, but we only had to pay about $1400 or so in co-pays and ins. covered the rest. As of now the doctors think she is cancer free. Sure am glad I got the bus driving job, pays pretty good and first rate bennies.

Brad W Wi
01-19-2007, 04:54 AM
sbingham, I sent vyou a PM and will be glad to show it to you and talk about tapping. My home number is 262-377-2216 . Looking foward to meeting you.

. Brad