PDA

View Full Version : Organic maple supplies

Ryan Mahar
12-11-2014, 10:39 AM
Where are people getting organic DE, filter press paper and defoamer from?? Thanks.

DrTimPerkins
12-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Where are people getting organic DE, filter press paper and defoamer from?? Thanks.

As far as I am aware (unless things have changed recently), you only need to be concerned about the defoamer. You can typically get certified organic defoamer from health food stores, organic coops, and sometimes at maple equipment suppliers. Make sure you check the label to see that it says "certified organic." Some of the bottles look exactly the same, but don't have that on them.

Ryan Mahar
12-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Thank you for reply. I currently have a small sugarbush, 1200 taps, but have a neighbor who wants me to tap her property, but she wants the syrup to be organic produced. So I am looking to see what i have to change to do so. According to the NOFA (northeast organic farmers assoc): ' Food grade diatomaceous earth added to syrup before filtering. If DE is used as a filtering agent, the product cannot be labeled as 100% organic. (Please see section IV Labeling) Food grade paper, felt, sand, or synthetic filters may be used.'

So this is the reason behind my question. I know I can use sunflower oil as a defoamer ( not sure how that will change my boiling from what we have always used as the standard defoamer Atmos 300k) but figured someone on this site must be making true organic syrup and may have an answer for me............thank you.

Schiefe4
12-11-2014, 01:25 PM
How can food grade DE be any more organic than it already is? (fossilized remains of diatoms) I don't believe it's heat treated. (if that really matters for organic qualifications)

Maybe they where GMO diatoms...:lol:

DrTimPerkins
12-11-2014, 01:28 PM
Thank you for reply. I currently have a small sugarbush, 1200 taps, but have a neighbor who wants me to tap her property, but she wants the syrup to be organic produced. So I am looking to see what i have to change to do so. According to the NOFA (northeast organic farmers assoc): ' Food grade diatomaceous earth added to syrup before filtering. If DE is used as a filtering agent, the product cannot be labeled as 100% organic. (Please see section IV Labeling) Food grade paper, felt, sand, or synthetic filters may be used.'

That is correct. You can still use papers and DE, but the syrup cannot be labeled as "100% organic", but can be labeled as "organic".

So this is the reason behind my question. I know I can use sunflower oil as a defoamer ( not sure how that will change my boiling from what we have always used as the standard defoamer Atmos 300k) but figured someone on this site must be making true organic syrup and may have an answer for me............thank you.

You can use "organic" sunflower oil or safflower or other certified organic oils (those with a light taste that won't impact off-flavors to the syrup). Just be sure that they have "organic" on the label. If you were being certified, you'd have to show the inspector the oil you use and a recent receipt (to prove you didn't just buy one bottle for show and keep it forever).

Unfortunately you will find that those oils will not be nearly as effective at defoaming syrup as Atmos. Consequently you will use considerably more oil. There may come a time, typically late in the season, where you cannot keep the foam under control no matter how much oil is used. At that point, we will switch to Atmos and label any syrup produced after that point as conventional syrup (NOT organic).

psparr
12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Maybe a slice of organic bacon draped over the pan? Haha.

DrTimPerkins
12-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Maybe a slice of organic bacon draped over the pan? Haha.

As long as it was free-range organic bacon. :lol:

NhShaun
02-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Curious about the process of using Safflower or sunflower oil as a defoamer.. How do you add it to the boiling sap in the pans? Just use a dropper or brush it on the sides of the dividers?

Moser's Maple
02-28-2015, 05:00 PM
you can purchase organic certified sunflower oil from Leader that comes is a dropper bottle. But as Dr. Tim said you will use more than what you would with Atmos, pretty close to 3x as much.

Danaputnam
03-11-2015, 05:00 AM
Is there any filter aid that will qualify for 100% organic?

Burnt sap
03-11-2015, 07:48 AM
We are an organic producer and follow the strict guidelines here. All we ever use as a defoamer is cold sap in a spray bottle I keep two on hand one with a fine spray mist and the other a stream when you need a little more. So little is used that it does not change the brix during draw off. Hope that helps?

Cedar Eater
03-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Does it have to be a specific kind of spray bottle (like nalgene or glass) or are they not that fussy?

NhShaun
03-11-2015, 05:29 PM
I might have to try that spray bottle with sap trick. I will be purchasing a 16 oz bottle of organic sunflower oil just in case though. Don't want to get stuck with a foaming issue while I'm off the grid boiling!

Ausable
03-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Does it have to be a specific kind of spray bottle (like nalgene or glass) or are they not that fussy?

Hey! Cedar!!! I have no axe to grind with Organic Folks. But remember --- These organic people eat "Free Range Chickens" so they are not fussy. Dang - free range chickens eat about anything that moves or remotely resembles food. They will pick a mouse to death and eat it, eat grain out of cow pies, eat moldy bread, ants, fleas, gnats, worms, spiders - dang near anything ever invented. If Organic Folks - eat these - eat anything - free rangers --- they aren't fussy. Just don't give them toooo much information. ---Ausable----

Ausable
03-11-2015, 06:12 PM
Hey! Cedar!!! I have no axe to grind with Organic Folks. But remember --- These organic people eat "Free Range Chickens" so they are not fussy. Dang - free range chickens eat about anything that moves or remotely resembles food. They will pick a mouse to death and eat it, eat grain out of cow pies, eat moldy bread, ants, fleas, gnats, worms, spiders - dang near anything ever invented. If Organic Folks - eat these - eat anything - free rangers --- they aren't fussy. Just don't give them toooo much information. ---Ausable----

----I wrote this in jest and I do realize strict guidelines are followed in the Organic Food Business. --Mike--

Brandy Brook Maple Farm
02-16-2016, 10:13 AM
I will be switching to organic defoamer (safflower oil) but due to use of filter aid, was informed our maple would be organic and not 100% organic. Also, they are looking into my use of sand for sap filtering. Anyone on here have experience with this? We filter our sap much like pool water; through a hayward pump and sand filter. If yes, where do you acquire your organic or "pure mined" sand?

BAP
02-16-2016, 11:24 AM
I use Safflower Oil because it has less flavor than Sunflower oil. Bought some bottles with little dropper tips at a party store I think in with cake supplies and fill them out of a bottle of oil. I keep an eye on the pans and add a drop or two when needed. If sand and DE is not considered "Organic" then what is? They both are about as naturally occuring as anything is.

Brandy Brook Maple Farm
02-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Thank you for your reply. I know some of the requirements seem outlandish, but if we are to wear the badge, we must adhere to the rules. I still remain curious as to any other maple producers' experience with this.

JoeJ
02-17-2016, 05:39 AM
In case any one needs a larger volume of organic oils, Jedwards International in Mass sells these certified organic oils by the gallon (about $23.00)or by the 5 gallon pail (about $103.00) plus shipping. Their web site is WWW.bulknaturaloils.com. They have a good selection of different oils also. The person that I got this info from is certified organic and use "high oleic" sunflower oil. For first time users, he also told me that it is very important to have a consistent drip for the best defomaing unlike Atmos which can be added at a longer time interval because the Atmos works better.

Brandy Brook Maple Farm
02-20-2016, 06:34 AM
Those are reasonable prices. Thanks for posting!

lpakiz
02-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Does this neighbor require ALL syrup produced from this property to be organic, or just the share she would receive?
You could possibly "filter" her share using the settling method. You could "filter" all syrup by settling, and be content with a reduced amount of syrup from this woods.
Also, filtering with wool flat filters would probably preserve the "100%" definition.