PDA

View Full Version : pre heater to float box connection

danno
01-16-2007, 09:09 PM
Just about done with the preheater, but now have to figure how to connect 3/4 od copper to 1 1/4 galvenized pipe fitting that can withstand the hot sap? My old float box has 1 1/4 fitting similar to the plastic barbed fitting used to connect mainline. In the past I just used heavy tube from the feeder tank connected to the floatbox fitting. Don't know how hose will hold up with hot sap.

Any ideas?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-16-2007, 09:27 PM
What I did on my evaporator is the OD of the fitting on the top of the float box that the sap goes in is 1.25" OD and my preheater is 3/4 OD. You can buy a 3/4 by 1.25" copper fitting at a plumbing supply place and my evaporator came from Leader with one of the hose connections that is 1.25 ID which is perfect for 1.25 OD and the 1.25 OD copper fitting fits perfectly in the hose connections. You can see my pics on the website link in my signature. I think this is what you are talking about. If so, these hose connections are only $ 3 or $ 4. Just make sure you specify the hose connection on top of the float box. :) This 1.25 ID hose connects the stainless sap entry pipe on top of the float box to the 1.25 copper fitting.

danno
01-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks Brandon - that's what I had in mind. The quick connects in your picture were like the ones I was looking at today - except they were black rubber at Loews (which I really did not want hot sap flowing through).

Your quick connects are white. Do you know what they are made of.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-17-2007, 05:05 PM
I did away with all of mine on the preheater and went to 3/4" copper and brass quick connects. I still have the one on top of the float box like I described to you. Get one from a Leader dealer for $ 3 or $ bucks and it will last probably 10 or 15 years. :D