PDA

View Full Version : bricking ?

asknupp
12-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Recently got all the he ceramic blanket installed in my 2x8. Had to construct a base for brick to rest on and my ? is what do I need to put down between base and brick. Base is 3" x2" angle. Do I need to put a layer off refractory cement down and apply brick directly or nothing at all?10111

COMSTOCK MAPLES
12-08-2014, 08:08 AM
the man I purchased mine from had me lay brick directly on that sill plate. you could put a little cement there just to hold steady but I didn't. good luck.

DoubleBrookMaple
12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Unless the brick in unstable for some reason, I would like to have the ability to remove without tearing things apart, or at least have clean cement free bricks if you ever wish to remove and reinstall them. Mine was very stable without cement. I used minimal cement along the sides to fill any voids only, and along the very top for stability.
My base is bigger than yours, at about 6 inches wide. After arch board, just 5 inches for a 4 1/2 brick, leaving just a metal lip to set my grate on. This all worked very well.

asknupp
12-08-2014, 02:15 PM
DBM,
My base is the same as yours with a 1/4" lip provided for the grates. Do you have to be gentle when adding wood? I have a hard time thinking that the bricks don't get shifted around but maybe I'm over thinking that it is that simple.

DoubleBrookMaple
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
DBM,
My base is the same as yours with a 1/4" lip provided for the grates. Do you have to be gentle when adding wood? I have a hard time thinking that the bricks don't get shifted around but maybe I'm over thinking that it is that simple. Like I said, very stable. Bricks fitted tight should not shift. I have never thought of being gentle with the wood.

asknupp
12-10-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks Comstock and Eric. I'll go with a dry stack.