PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine damage?

NTBugtraq
12-07-2014, 06:52 PM
So in prepping my lines recently, I discovered a fair bit of mainline with bite holes. I'm told this is most likely done by porcupines, and we did observe a porcupine in the area recently. Other than shooting it, has anyone else discovered a way to protect mainline from them?

psparr
12-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Probably squirrels. If it's not near a tree then a deer. They say not to clean the lines with bleach, they like the salt left behind.

NTBugtraq
12-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Well, holes are too big to be squirrels and I don't ever see a squirrel (rabbit yes, squirrel no), and I didn't clean with bleach (in fact, I didn't clean the lines at all). The lines that were pierced were about the right height for deer, but my dogs tend to keep them away from here. The dogs have not noticed the porcupine, however (thank goodness). The damage was done in the last few weeks, not during the summer, if that means anything.

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-07-2014, 07:16 PM
It could very well be porcupines. They will shred line. I have more porky problems than squirrel problems. My neighbor used to make a concoction of vicks vapo-rub and tabasco sauce and rub it on the lines wherever critters were particularly bad. Never tried it myself. I'd hate to have it penetrate the plastic.

BreezyHill
12-07-2014, 10:32 PM
I have used hot peppers to keep deer from rubbing on the saddles on the main line. Tie them to the lines at problem areas.
We used bleach for the past 30+ years with little issues over the years.
We use peroxide now to get an easier clean up and we have had a squirrel pop explosion.
Gamo bone collector is a great air riffle to dispatch varmints with at cheap prices for ammo. To hard to get 22 LR after the safe act here in NYS.

Get the zoom scope and the laser attachment to plink the little rats.

adk1
12-08-2014, 03:19 AM
I walked my lines yesterday some. I have squirrel damage again, many of them at the drop. This was the first year I didn't flush my lines with air and water but last year I had allot more squirrel damage than what I have seen so far.

sjdoyon
12-08-2014, 06:21 PM
We get late fall damage from black bears. They leave behind puncture holes in the lateral and mainlines. They will even chew on our rolls sitting on the ground waiting to be installed.

slybird353
12-08-2014, 07:09 PM
We get late fall damage from black bears. They leave behind puncture holes in the lateral and mainlines. They will even chew on our rolls sitting on the ground waiting to be installed.
Can you put a charge on the mainline wire?

BreezyHill
12-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Can you put a charge on the mainline wire?

All you need to so is have an inline insulator at both ends of the wire and you can put a fencer on them. Solar charges would be the best and you could use the tree as the ground source that the wire ends at.

Thanks for that idea...never thought of that.

Ben

adk1
12-08-2014, 08:48 PM
My mainline has yet to be chewed on its always the laterals and drops