PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel cage blower

Outdoorsman0490
12-06-2014, 11:14 PM
Hey all,

I have a smokey lake 2'/5' hybrid on a block arch. Last year I used a cheap duct booster for my auf. However, those fans do not last. I would like to use a squirrel cage blower this year, something that will last. I plan on running between 5'-10' of duct from the back wall to the front of the arch, it will take 2 90 bends. Right now I have a register boot entering the arch under the grate/door that is 6" diameter to a rectangular opening.

My question is, what models have others used for a similar set up. On graingers website, there are a ton of options, ranging ranging in cfm and price. Ideally, I would like to use a dimmer type switch to adjust the cfm.

What are your recommendations? I mention grainger because they have one of their big facilities 1 town over.

Thanks

bowhunter
12-07-2014, 06:57 AM
I don't have have a blower, but you might want to consider using a router variable speed power cord vs. the dimmer switch. They're designed to handle much higher loads and they're relatively cheap from Harbor Freight. I believe others on the site have had good success with them in this application.

Pibster
12-07-2014, 08:42 AM
I picked up a squirrel cage blower last winter at the local scrapyard. They had a pile of small furnace type blowers there. I think I paid $1 for it. Works great on a dimmer switch.

Panheadguy
12-07-2014, 08:55 AM
Last year I put a small squirrel cage blower in my drum evaporator. I got it from a guy that has the greenhouses that are plastic with two walls inflated with a blower. It's not very big, the round intake hole is 3-4"
in diameter. I drilled a bunch of 1/2" holes in an old driveshaft the length of the barrel. I then capped the door end and made a flange to mount the blower on the stack end. I drilled a hole sized to the diameter of the driveshaft in the lowest part of the barrel below the grate. I slid the thing into the barrel from the stack end. It worked too well so instead of using a dimmer; I made a plate that swings over the intake hole in the blower to restrict the air flow. Works awesome.

Outdoorsman0490
12-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Ok. I will look into that variable speed control from harbor freight, and we do have a scrap yard nearby, I will see what kind of blowers they have there

Twindadx2
01-01-2015, 10:58 PM
I use the blower motor from our old furnace that I replaced. I made a frame to hold it off the ground and a dimmer switch dial from the hardware store to control the air flow. Works great and I was able to recycle the blower motor instead of taking it in for scrap. The only cost was the price of the Dimmer switch!

Schiefe4
01-02-2015, 04:04 PM
...I plan on running between 5'-10' of duct from the back wall to the front of the arch, it will take 2 90 bends. Right now I have a register boot entering the arch under the grate/door that is 6" diameter to a rectangular opening.

My question is, what models have others used for a similar set up. On graingers website, there are a ton of options, ranging ranging in cfm and price. Ideally, I would like to use a dimmer type switch to adjust the cfm.

What are your recommendations? I mention grainger because they have one of their big facilities 1 town over...

http://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-PSC-Blower-1TDR9?cm_sp=IO-_-IDP-_-RR_VTV70300505&cm_vc=IDPRRZ1

Ended up using this squirrel cage blower from Grainger. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Why is the duct work so long and require bends? I hung my AUF fan from the back end of the firebox and ran an extension cord.

maple flats
01-02-2015, 04:16 PM
You might actually be better off (and cheaper) if you find the right squirrel cage blower and mount a flap that can be moved on the air inlet. That is how all of the draft blowers I worked with on outdoor wood furnaces were. That is cheap and simple. When I had only AUF I used a squirrel cage blower and made a slide gate damper to adjust the air, it worked very well.

Daveg
01-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Still working? The description says not for use with speed controllers.