PDA

View Full Version : drill mixer

super sappy
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Any one ever try to use a heavy duty variable speed drill with a electric mixer beater chucked into it. Or a heavy duty plaster paddle for mixing cream? My milwaukee drill will whip up a bucket of drywall mud pretty easy.I thought of this today for some reason.slow rpm and easy.what do you think?super sappy

brookledge
01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
If you could rigg up the drill to be held in place it might work easier. I would think that holding the drill over the pan would get real tiresome. Otherwise it should work as long as your drill is strong enough.
When you first start with stirring it takes alot of power to get it going
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-16-2007, 09:33 PM
How about some of these heavy duty ice cream machines that you can buy?? This is the same principle and they have a pretty good motor to turn the ice cream until it is hard. I am not talking about a $ 20 Wally world special. :?

mountainvan
01-16-2007, 10:13 PM
I've used a cordless drill to make maple cream when my mixer started smoking. Worked real well. Just set it on low.

super sappy
01-17-2007, 05:57 AM
Boy if you guys like that one how about a plastic cement mixer (new) for a large batch of Indian sugar.I could suspend a heat lamp near the opening and stop every so often to scrape the inside down with a wooden paddle. I am glad that the power is back on, now I can get back to the shop and work. Instead of looking at my tools and thinking of ways to make maple stuff with them. I did make a batch of indian sugar (1st time on purpose :D)Wile the lites were off.I made a mixer out of poplar with a large diameter handle. It was alot easyier to stir than using the wooden spoons from the kitchen My hands and forearms did not get tired. The sugar came out almost pure white and powdery. Super sappy

ennismaple
01-17-2007, 09:42 AM
I bought a variable speed hammer drill from Canadian Tire just to make maple butter. It's got a 24 month warranty so if I burn it out that's fine!

I took an egg beater and cut two of the fins off (because there was too much resistance with four) and put that in the chuck. It normally takes about 15-20 minutes to stirr a 3 litre batch that I've heated on the stove at home. I sit on the floor with the handles of the pot under my legs and watch TV while I stir. Since I don't make any big batches it works fine for me.

peacemaker
11-23-2008, 09:58 AM
why not use a drill press ... with your paddles chucked in it ??
u can set the speed low make it like a com mixer

danno
11-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Peace - that's what I've been using for the past few years and works well. A cut down paddle in my drill press on slow speed. Hardest issue was finding a way to secure the cream pan. Couple C clamps took care of that. I can smell the drill belt when I first start and the cream is real stiff.

As takes 20 minutes or so to "drill" a batch, I'd hate to be holding a hand drill that whole time.

peacemaker
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
what size press are u using and heres a thought as a cabinet maker i get alot of diff supply catalogs and i have switched to the breaded belts less slip and more power

Haynes Forest Products
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Is that a food grade drill

peacemaker
11-24-2008, 09:53 PM
why wouldnt it be ?use to do pancake breakfast for a volly fire co. in jersey we where helath code approved before every event and we where allowed to mix pancake batter in a new galv garbage ca bleached out we had to show the reciept and the stickers had to be on the cans ... and we used a sheet rock mixer on a millwalke drill
.... and one year when the failed us for a spaghatti dinner for our water we where allowed to cook the spagetti in a galv can on a turkey fryer out in the bays lol

The Sappy Steamer
11-25-2008, 06:54 AM
I used a heavy duty drill with stainless beaters that I made. It worked fine. I bought a cheapy bench top drill press from tractor supply but could not slow it down enough. Even with the belt right on the shaft. Those little rubber flecks are one way to make cream last longer around the house. Goodyear cream anyone?

VtSugarhouse
11-25-2008, 07:02 AM
Drills do not make good cream because they inject too much air into your product. This in the end causes the material to seperate much too quickly.
This is only my take on it....

nmerritt
11-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I have had a lot of success using my cordless drill. I have a drywall paddle I attach which works great. I still think the hard part is using the right syrup and finding the perfect temp.

ennismaple
11-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Drills do not make good cream because they inject too much air into your product. This in the end causes the material to seperate much too quickly.
This is only my take on it....

I use my variable speed hammer drill at the lowest possible speed until the sheen comes off the syrup. This normally means I've got a couple minutes of hand mixing left. The hand mixing takes out any air bubbles.

tmccrumm
12-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I have plans and photos of a home made cream machine that can be made for $100 if you are handy with tools and a shop and recycling an old motor and clothes dryer pulley. I have used mine for 25 years, making hundreds of pounds of cream a year with it, and have never had any problems. I can make about 20 pounds at a crack with it. Contact me for more info.
tom@southfacefarm.com