PDA

View Full Version : Arch build for Smokey Lake 2x5 hybrid pan

fisheatingbagel
12-04-2014, 04:18 PM
Just wanted to post some photos of my arch build for a new Smoky Lake 2x5 hybrid pan. This is a big step up from my previous evaporator, a homemade arch with 3 steam table pans. It's been a fun project, and it confirmed my status as a lousy welder. The design is a typical angle iron frame with angled firebox up to the back pan. This site was a huge resource of ideas for overall design.

I used SketchUp to try out dimensions first and see how they looked. The firebox size and overall height were "eyeballed" in SketchUp to look like other arches. Other dimensions were dictated by the size of the pan (obviously).

I started by building the top frame from 1 x 1/8 angle. I sized the frame so a half inch of the angle would be under the pan. The overall length of the top frame is around 6 feet to allow for the base collar in the back.

The top frame angle iron I bought at Lowes. Their price was a bit under my local Metal Supermarket's price.

The remainder of the frame is built from 2 x 1/4 angle I got from a local salvage yard. The price for "new" steel is crazy. I bought all the 2 inch angle for less than the "new" 1 inch angle from Lowes. I also bought some 1/4" scrap plate steel from the same salvage yard to use for the arch front, and around the ash pit.

I skinned the arch with HardieBacker cement board. I used this for my steam pan arch and it worked fine. Cement board is cheap and easy to work with. I used sheet metal screws to attach to the frame.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others, as this site has been for me. Let me know if I can help with anyone else's build.100721007310074

psparr
12-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Very nice. One thing I would recommend would be to weld a few little pieces to hold the pan in place. So it doesn't shift side to side. I only have 1/2" also and it seems the pan likes to walk a little.

Swampmapleman
12-04-2014, 07:20 PM
What are u gonna use for a base stack? Looks great. What about insulating before bricking?

Matt

fisheatingbagel
12-05-2014, 06:32 AM
psparr, sounds like a good idea - i'll do that.

A friend of mine is building the base stack. He does some work for a local fabrication company, and is hoping to get some stainless to use. If not, I guess we'll go with plain sheet metal.

Last year, I used ceramic board from a local refactory company to insulate my steam pan arch, but it was very pricey - around $6 a sf! Sugar Bush Supplies has 1" ceramic board for less than half that, so I'm planning on ordering from them. Then I'll go with 1/2 thick firebrick in the firebox.

I'm thinking the firebox is a little too big on this thing, and I'll need more wood to keep an even fire. The flues from the back pan will extend almost a foot into the firebox. Oh well, too late now!

n8hutch
12-05-2014, 06:55 AM
You can always build a wall at any debt you want in your firebox, & ramp up to your flues. Nice looking rig. With a 2x5 i'm guessing your going to burn 16-18" wood.

kiteflyingeek
12-05-2014, 09:13 AM
I don't think you'll be disappointed with having the flues in the firebox -- but be ready to have sap geysers. :D. If I ever cut into the steel of my arch, I'm going to lay the ramp down a bit more. Mine is similar to yours with about a foot of the flues exposed & I have sap jumping out of the 14" sides of the flue pan (whatever the height that Jim typically builds). By allowing more flue to be exposed, I'm hoping that would even out the boil a bit.

As others already mentioned, you can build a smaller firebox out of firebrick/insulation board. But only if you find the firebox you built really is to big.

Btw, glad to hear you convinced UofL to allow you to tap :)

--andrew

Fleman202
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
I am in the process of building my own arch as well so seeing yours helps! Can I ask the dimensions of your fire box? Also, is there any advantage to using sheet metal for the skin over cement board?

maple flats
01-06-2015, 09:53 AM
Looks good. Having used the cement board for the sides, be sure to get bricks in to protect the sides from an errant firewood toss. Your welding looks better than any I've ever done.

fisheatingbagel
01-09-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm going to insulate with archboard and bricks over that in the firebox.

fisheatingbagel
01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I am in the process of building my own arch as well so seeing yours helps! Can I ask the dimensions of your fire box? Also, is there any advantage to using sheet metal for the skin over cement board?

Fleman202, I think my firebox is too big. It's about 2' wide by 2' long, at least at the bottom of the ramp. If doing over, I think I would shorten by 6 inches.

How's your build going?

DoubleBrookMaple
01-09-2015, 11:58 PM
Your welding looks better than any I've ever done.HaHa! Did he tell you he spent 3 days with the grinding wheel! I am not sure but I might have spent for time grinding than welding on mine.

Fleman202
01-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I am going to have to wait a year to finish this project. Work got really busy and I can't put all the time I want into the details I would like to. So instead of rushing it and not ending up with what I want I will tap a few less trees and use what I had last year. I am also building my own drop flue pan and that needs more time as well!

Bucket Head
01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
And your sap hauler in the background is impressive too!

Nice job on the fabrication.

Steve

Fleman202
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM
I work for a fertilizer company, that tank probably isn't food grade!

Bucket Head
01-23-2015, 10:28 AM
I did'nt figure it was a sap hauler. (Although for bragging rights it sure would be nice) And the tanks probably are food grade- you just don't want any food in them, lol!

Steve