PDA

View Full Version : Another fake "Maple"'product

PerryFamily
11-30-2014, 04:44 PM
I found another "maple" product , in fact two, that contain zero maple syrup.

Pillsbury Maple Brown Sugar frosting
And Pillsbury Maple Brown Sugar Cake mix

These products contain zero Maple in the ingredients yet smell and taste surprisingly distinctive maple flavor.

VMSMA can add this to their list of fake products.

maplwrks
11-30-2014, 04:58 PM
These products contain zero Maple in the ingredients yet smell and taste surprisingly like distinctive FAKE maple flavor.

spud
11-30-2014, 05:02 PM
Although I am with you on this there is one thing you must know. In most households women do the food shopping. Most women including my wife have one or more of these FAKE things on their body (Hair, eye lash, fingernails,breast,teeth,butt and the list goes on). Now do you really think the average shopper cares about fake maple product? We don't all have to like it but FAKE is here to stay.

Spud

PerryFamily
11-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Mike my point was just to get it out there and make people aware.

I wonder what combination of chemicals and flavorings have to be mixed to come up "close or whatever" to maple? Probably don't want to know.

maplwrks
11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Unfortunately it takes $$$ to make the fight happen. The VMSMA doesn't have the resources to fight the entire maple worlds' battles. Join the VMSMA to help fight the fight. VMSMA may not represent your home state, but it does represent you when it comes to issues such as this. You can join on the VMSMA website. $35 can go along way to help keep maple real in our foods!

PerryFamily
11-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Well said Mike. That is what I meant. Just couldnt type it! Ha ha

Join the fight!!

spud
11-30-2014, 05:16 PM
There is no fight to fight on this one. By law the ingredients must be on the package and it will show there is no maple if this is the case. I am not saying it's right but spending tons of money to change a product label may not be worth it. As long as we continue to make real quality maple products people will buy it.

Spud

PerryFamily
11-30-2014, 06:40 PM
I guess we can agree to disagree.

Just putting it out there.

Do other states associations lobby at the state or federal level like Vermont does?
Just curious

maplwrks
12-01-2014, 05:09 AM
Vermont is the only state that does anything like this.

happy thoughts
12-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Although I am with you on this there is one thing you must know. In most households women do the food shopping. Most women including my wife have one or more of these FAKE things on their body (Hair, eye lash, fingernails,breast,teeth,butt and the list goes on). Now do you really think the average shopper cares about fake maple product? We don't all have to like it but FAKE is here to stay.

Spud

I am also down on mislabeling but geez spud, offend women much? :o. Most women I know, myself included, do no such thing! It could also be said that those women you know buy fake products because their men can't tell the difference or prefer fake over real. Seriously, when was the last time you demanded REAL rubber tires?

motowbrowne
12-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Spud

I am also down on mislabeling but geez spud, offend women much? :o. Most women I know, myself included, do no such thing! It could also be said that those women you know buy fake products because their men can't tell the difference or prefer fake over real. Seriously, when was the last time you demanded REAL rubber tires?

I'm with you happy thoughts. Spud's comments one, don't make any sense, and two are completely irrelevant. I'm not on this forum a lot, and certainly don't read all the threads, but these types of comments are rampant on the tractor forum that i frequent. I make a point of bringing attentions to meaningless and offensive statements like this when they come up. Spud is a great resource for maple syrup information. However, it would appear that his perception of women may be somewhat limited. Spud, while you are certainly entitled to your view, you'd do best to keep it to yourself. It's unnecessary to mention here.

n8hutch
12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
I didn't read it that way at all, I don't think he ever referenced Women in A condescending way, I found it to be mostly truthfull & I would have to Agree that most of the women in my family would fit that mold, there are a few exceptions but a majority of people don't care about Fake flavors or Fake Image enhancements , hence it is becoming more rampant in every facet of everyday life.

spud
12-01-2014, 04:58 PM
I would never offend women in any way and the comments I made were NOT offensive at all. The comments I made were 100% correct and everyone knows it. I like all the fake things women use to make them feel and look good. Some of you people make such a big deal over silly stuff. If you want to sue every company that has false advertising then go right ahead and waste your money. Like I said before if you make Quality syrup and other Maple product people will buy it. Is the company Pillsbury in anyway causing you lost sales on your maple product? I love to joke around and I have a very good sense of humor. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Spud

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-01-2014, 06:07 PM
Spud, My wife uses nothing fake to make her feel and look good. Generalizing and stereotyping gets this discussion nowhere. One of our female members took offense at the way you presented something. You probably did not intend it to be offensive. This thread is about fake maple products and what we as an industry can or should do about that. I am all for truth in labeling and do not like to see any products presented in a misleading way. At the very least it is unethical.

3GoatHill
12-01-2014, 08:52 PM
I went back to my hometown in western PA to visit family for the Thanksgiving weekend. We stayed at a hotel, because the kids love the pool. On Sunday they had a pretty good breakfast buffet, complete with a made to order omelette station and waffles. My ten year old was excited that he saw an urn on the buffet that was labeled, "Maple Syrup".

"Hey dad", he said. "They have real maple syrup here!". I was skeptical. But I got some in a little cup. The first sign that we'd been had, was that it was steaming hot when it came out of he urn. Yep, it was Mrs. Somethingsworth alright. I am ashamed to say that I did not take the time to try to educate the management, figuring it would have fallen on deaf ears anyway.

During our mealtime conversation the kids told me that their friends at school think that they are weird because they don't like french toast day at the school cafeteria. They told me that they tell their friends it's because they don't like the fake syrup. But I'm pretty sure their conversation went more like, "Dude, fake maple syrup sucks", or something along those lines. I look at that as a positive thing. They are educating the next generation. Maybe there is hope after all.

adk1
12-01-2014, 09:06 PM
3 goat hill. That is too funny right there as my kids say the same. Which leads me to a story from this past weekend. At my i laws, I witnessed my mother in law dump what was left of my maple syrup into a log cabin pancake syrup jug.....oh yes it happened....

Cake O' Maple
12-02-2014, 02:22 AM
At my i laws, I witnessed my mother in law dump what was left of my maple syrup into a log cabin pancake syrup jug.....oh yes it happened....

OUCH!!! Time to become the syrup nazi..."No syrup for you!"

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-02-2014, 04:55 AM
the words "Pure" or "Real" or "Organic" are not on the label of ingredients. its like saying I have a V8 engine in my truck, not specifying what type.

3GoatHill
12-02-2014, 02:08 PM
3 goat hill. That is too funny right there as my kids say the same. Which leads me to a story from this past weekend. At my i laws, I witnessed my mother in law dump what was left of my maple syrup into a log cabin pancake syrup jug.....oh yes it happened....

Oh no! That's not much better than dumping it in the comode

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Spud got OWNED! for all people Spud hell you were calling around last year trying to find out how the Helium Injection systems works and if it really did, I know people you called!
Just out a manufacturer is in production of Vacuum sap sacs just hook your tubing to the bottom of the sac and the pre charged vacuum sac sucks out the sap. Hey Doc have you heard of this

DrTimPerkins
12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Hey Doc have you heard of this

No comment. :lol:

motowbrowne
12-02-2014, 06:54 PM
I would never offend women in any way and the comments I made were NOT offensive at all. The comments I made were 100% correct and everyone knows it. I like all the fake things women use to make them feel and look good. Some of you people make such a big deal over silly stuff. If you want to sue every company that has false advertising then go right ahead and waste your money. Like I said before if you make Quality syrup and other Maple product people will buy it. Is the company Pillsbury in anyway causing you lost sales on your maple product? I love to joke around and I have a very good sense of humor. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone.

Spud

Saying your comments weren't offensive isn't accurate. If someone takes offense, they were offensive. It's not your choice. You may not have intended them to be that way, but that's a different matter. Furthermore, saying that you would never offend women in any way is a hasty generalization. Women don't all think the same way. Something that won't offend some of them will offend others. The only thing you are proving here is that you do in fact have a narrow view of women. Also, saying your comments were 100% correct just makes no sense at all.

Walling's Maple Syrup
12-02-2014, 07:56 PM
Spud got OWNED! for all people Spud hell you were calling around last year trying to find out how the Helium Injection systems works and if it really did, I know people you called!
Just out a manufacturer is in production of Vacuum sap sacs just hook your tubing to the bottom of the sac and the pre charged vacuum sac sucks out the sap. Hey Doc have you heard of this

How many have you purchased for the upcoming season?;)

n8hutch
12-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Some people are always looking for ways to be offended, yes I am aware that I probably just offended someone.

spud
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
I didn't read it that way at all, I don't think he ever referenced Women in A condescending way, I found it to be mostly truthfull & I would have to Agree that most of the women in my family would fit that mold, there are a few exceptions but a majority of people don't care about Fake flavors or Fake Image enhancements , hence it is becoming more rampant in every facet of everyday life.

Thank you n8hutch for your support. I am glad someone here on Trader understands what I was saying.

Spud

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
How many have you purchased for the upcoming season?;)
about a dozen, going to put half them on some trees around the house see how they do and send the others to Doc.

spud
12-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Saying your comments weren't offensive isn't accurate. If someone takes offense, they were offensive. It's not your choice. You may not have intended them to be that way, but that's a different matter. Furthermore, saying that you would never offend women in any way is a hasty generalization. Women don't all think the same way. Something that won't offend some of them will offend others. The only thing you are proving here is that you do in fact have a narrow view of women. Also, saying your comments were 100% correct just makes no sense at all.

I am greatly offended by your insane comments. If someone takes offense in something it is because it is indeed offensive OR the person is over reacting. I do not have a narrow view of women at all. A lot (not all) women enjoy Fake nails, Fake teeth, Fake eye lashes, Coloring their hair and making other cosmetic changes to their body. They do this because it makes them happy and feel good about themselves. There is nothing wrong with this and my wife and older daughters do this often. If you're a red head but you color your hair blonde that is fake. We live in a world that has a lot of Fake in it. None of my comments should have been offensive to anyone if they choose to think about what I said. There are some Spud haters on Trader and they love to take jabs at me. Are you sure you were offended by my comments or just looking to take another jab at someone you dislike? There are many people in this world that get offended when someone speaks TRUTH. Is truth now offensive? Some of you need to get a life.

Spud

Thompson's Tree Farm
12-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Spud,
My wife suffers from PTSD. Sometimes very small or unintended things hurt or offend her. Is she not hurt because you think what you said is not offensive? We all have lived our own lives and been shaped by our own experiences. Walk a mile in the other persons shoes before you declare anything as offensive or inoffensive.

motowbrowne
12-03-2014, 10:20 AM
I am greatly offended by your insane comments. If someone takes offense in something it is because it is indeed offensive OR the person is over reacting. I do not have a narrow view of women at all. A lot (not all) women enjoy Fake nails, Fake teeth, Fake eye lashes, Coloring their hair and making other cosmetic changes to their body. They do this because it makes them happy and feel good about themselves. There is nothing wrong with this and my wife and older daughters do this often. If you're a red head but you color your hair blonde that is fake. We live in a world that has a lot of Fake in it. None of my comments should have been offensive to anyone if they choose to think about what I said. There are some Spud haters on Trader and they love to take jabs at me. Are you sure you were offended by my comments or just looking to take another jab at someone you dislike? There are many people in this world that get offended when someone speaks TRUTH. Is truth now offensive? Some of you need to get a life.

Spud

That's better. All you needed to say was "a lot" instead of "all" in reference to women. I'm sorry you were offended by my response. I'm just trying to explain why your comments weren't appropriate. One last thing, women, and all people change their appearances for all sorts of reasons. Singling women out for changing their appearances to "make them happy and feel good about themselves" is again, a hasty generalization. It's not for you to explain women's actions. To say a lot of women change their appearances is true, to tell us why they do it isn't your job. You've proven this again and again.

Also. I'm no "spud hater". If you read my first post in this thread, you'll see I spoke highly of your maple syrup expertise. Keep your comments on that topic, which is, after all, what this site is for and no one will be able to offend you by telling what we think.

Chicopee Sap Shack
12-03-2014, 12:35 PM
This has gotten out of hand and makes me sick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unc23win
12-03-2014, 01:06 PM

I second that

motowbrowne
12-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Fake maple products should definitely be cracked down on.

n8hutch
12-03-2014, 07:48 PM
While I agree this thread has gotten out of hand, And I have undoubtedly contributed to that, I have to say that people sometimes need to take the highroad & not cry wolf every time someone says or does something they don't like, spud clearly apologized & explained himself in his second post on this thread, but like most of America the attackers just kept coming, not content with an apology that they had seemed so eager to receive, They wanted more too the point that it seemed like they just wanted to make the person who offended them feel bad or worse then they themselves had felt. While nobody likes to be offended/or hurt it certainly isn't productive to do the same on someone else intentionally , I would call that A far worse action. I apologize to the Trader who started this thread who after all was just pointing out A unknown to him & maybe others "fake" maple product, I do sympathize with you that there are soo many fake flavors, sugars, fats, and any other artificial thing in the food we eat, or choose not to eat. The world would most likely be a better place w/o them, but I think they are here to stay.

lakeview maple
12-03-2014, 09:27 PM
n8hutch , well said

motowbrowne
12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Alright, Spud brought something to my attention, which I agree that I should address and apologize for.

Spud in his first post said, "Most women including my wife have one or more of these FAKE things on their body (Hair, eye lash, fingernails,breast,teeth,butt and the list goes on)." I incorrectly remembered his words in later posts as having said "all" women. While saying "most" is still, in my opinion difficult to back up compared to "many" or "lots of" its better than saying "all" which is what I thought he said, and part of what upset me. I like to think that I read what others write carefully, but in this case I clearly made a mistake and I would like to apologize to Spud for that and to the rest of you for participating in muddling this thread.

That said, I still stand by parts of what I said. I still feel that the original comment that I quoted above was unnecessary. There just wasn't any reason to bring it up. I also stand by my comments regarding Spud explaining why women change their appearances. Their motivations for their individual actions simply aren't for the rest of us to explain.

Spud, I apologize for misrepresenting what you said. I misread it the first time and let it color my response. Please understand that while I did so in part mistakenly, I was still trying to explain why I felt your post was inappropriate and why, even though you didn't intend them to be so, your words could be offensive to some readers.

Sometimes the anonymity we enjoy on the internet changes the things we feel comfortable saying in a public forum. I know that I've been subject to this phenomenon. I will try to do a better job in the future of being less inflammatory in my posts, and hopefully others will as well.

That's all,
Thanks

spud
12-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Thank you motowbrowne for your post. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Lets hope we all have a great sugaring season.

Spud

motowbrowne
12-05-2014, 01:27 AM
Thank you motowbrowne for your post. I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Lets hope we all have a great sugaring season.

Spud

Thank you, Spud. I appreciate that, and wish the same for you and yours. :)

Flat Lander Sugaring
12-08-2014, 04:20 AM

Spud
No Spud your not allowed to say Merry C.......... any more because you might hurt some ones feelings so its Happy Holidays.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH JUST KIDDING MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

DOWN WITH PC