PDA

View Full Version : Winter Pants

Amber Gold
11-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Working outside, I've been wearing a pair of gortex shell pants like these (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12960822). The issue is they don't stand up to the abuse of working in the woods...namely logging, and working on lines with barbed wire and pricker bushes. I got a pair of carhartt insulated overalls (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/carhartt-sandstone-bib-overalls-long-quilt-lined-insulated-for-men~p~3167h/?filterString=s~carhartt-overall%2F&colorFamily=02), but they're too heavy and bulky walking through the snow unless it's real cold out. So, I'm looking for a pair of work pants to replace these. Either an insulated pair of pants or a shell that I can wear over a pair of pants. Recommendations and thoughts?? What are you guys wearing out in the woods?

Thanks for the help and Happy Thanksgiving.

11-27-2014, 05:37 PM
I love wool pants and they are warm even when wet.

OldManMaple
11-27-2014, 06:29 PM
These pants are tough and you can slip in chain saw chaps
http://www.labonville.com/Insulated-Black-Nylon-Pants-W-Snaps-WN600P_p_73.html

Shawn
11-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Wool pants for hunting but like said Labonville makes some nice pants that I bought two pairs of and wear in woods when logging with chaps over them of course or just the pants when working in the sugar orchard, they fit well, rugged and can slip over another pair of pants

Loch Muller
11-27-2014, 07:00 PM
I like wool pants and rubber boots and wear chaps over them when I'm cutting wood. If the snow is real deep and I need to do a lot of walking I wear goretex type ski pants made out of heavy nylon.

maple flats
11-28-2014, 05:14 AM
Duluth Trading offers several options in their "firehose" pants. They hold up well.

Dave Y
11-28-2014, 05:55 AM
I wear Cabelas Briar Gard Pants the are fairly warm and water resitiant around 100bucks

sjdoyon
11-28-2014, 07:23 PM
You will see Johnson pants worn by VT loggers and sugarmakers.

http://johnsonwoolenmills.com/product-category/men/pants/

BreezyHill
11-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Check out under armour's warm gear...soccer leggings or running leggings. Slip them on and you will be all done with long underwear, pair of jeans and you are good to 20's. If there is snow, then I throw on the carhart's bibs. Just make sure you get the rights size. To large and they are heavy as hell, to tight and you cant move.

While I am a wool supporter, you got to check out the new tech. So great to work in.

Amber Gold
11-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'll check out the options and get back to you with any questions.

Amber Gold
11-30-2014, 09:11 AM
Flats, Do you have a pair of the firehose pants? How do they compare to carhartts, and how water resistant are they? Basically would like to stay dry when I kneel down in the snow and sit on the tractor seat. They offer a briar guard version and a logger version. Use those with a pair of gaiters to keep the lower legs snow free.

maple flats
11-30-2014, 07:13 PM
I do not, but a guy who used to work for me did. They were a little lighter weight than Carharts according to him, I never actually felt them. That guy is no longer around, he was just earning money for college, he is now in college to become forester, in some sort of research.

adk1
11-30-2014, 08:43 PM
I wear carharts. If really cold I wear carhart insulated coveralls. If deep snow I wear carhart with gametes Gators over the leg.

DoubleBrookMaple
12-06-2014, 09:02 PM
After reviewing the options, I went to TSC, who had a huge selection. I decided overalls are not good in moderately cold weather when you get working up a sweat and need to shed some coverage. I had this issue during my mechanic career, and gave upon them. Overalls give you the ability to take off your top as you/and/or the day warms up.
I could have bought a pair of very nice Carhartts coveralls for $125...

I decided on the Tractor Supply house brand C.E.Schmidt overalls at $80, and the overalls for warmer days at $60. A combined cost of $140 plus my donation to the governors mansion. I have been pleased with all my C.E.Schmidt products thus far.

BreezyHill
12-07-2014, 09:39 AM
A combined cost of $140 plus my donation to the governors mansion. I have been pleased with all my C.E.Schmidt products thus far.

:lol:

I have a pair of them...I like them better than the CH's, not as heavy.

DoubleBrookMaple
12-08-2014, 11:02 AM
:lol:

I have a pair of them...I like them better than the CH's, not as heavy.

I noticed that, and thought it would be easier to work in. Heavier in weight, and bulk (bulkier).

unc23win
12-08-2014, 11:45 AM
I really like my wrangler fleece lined jeans I have about 4 pairs of them I wear them all winter doing my chores, under my camo bibs hunting, and during sugaring season in and out of the sugarhouse. They are even fine if you get them wet from kneeling in the snow they get wet but you stay warm. They fit just like jeans and there is no need for another layer. I have been wanting to try some of the Duluth ones just for the water resistance. I only wear insulated over alls if it's real cold and I am not moving as much or cutting wood in the snow.

Amber Gold
12-08-2014, 12:14 PM
I like the Duluth ones, and wish they had a local shop I could see and try them on. They come with a hefty price tag if I don't like them. I'm thinking I like the non-insulated pants more...gives me more flexibility. If I need the warmth, just throw on a base layer.

sweetwater sugar shack
12-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Second that on fleece lined jeans

billyinvt
12-10-2014, 12:01 PM
In terms of "ruggedness" I'm still a fan of double front carhartts. I have both lined and unlined depending on temperature and activity level. I've also found that a good pair of gaiters offers me a lot of flexibility in that they go over whatever pants I'm wearing.

unc23win
12-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Duluth ones are out for me they don't have my size, which I thought was funny because they have a big and tall section online. Not seeing my size I sent them and e-mail and they said they don't make 36" length lined pants. So I will stick with my wrangler lined jeans, which I like a lot and find them to be just as flexible as regular jeans and more flexible than cramming a layer under jeans. I also have had carhartts and they are equal to wrangler the double fronts are nice as well.

n8hutch
12-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I thought A 36" Inseam was A myth ! I like Carhardt double front flannel lined pants If its above 0, when its colder I usually just stay inside. I admit that the Carhardts are stiff.Usually bust the crotch out of them way before I could ever wear the front out of them.lol

NhShaun
12-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I like the Duluth ones, and wish they had a local shop I could see and try them on. They come with a hefty price tag if I don't like them. I'm thinking I like the non-insulated pants more...gives me more flexibility. If I need the warmth, just throw on a base layer. Doesn't deluth offer a no bull guarantee? It is a pain to have to send them back if they don't fit right. But i think they cover shipping and will exchange for a different size or style. They make some pretty durable clothing and the lunch box i bought from them is great!

unc23win
12-11-2014, 08:44 AM
I thought A 36" Inseam was A myth ! ha ha try finding 33x36 its not easy I usually order everything.

TheMapleMoose
12-12-2014, 10:44 AM
The Duluth fire hose pants aren't anymore waterproof than a pair of carhartts. They are great pants though, but spend the extra money for the duluthflex version. I have a pair of them that are on their 3rd year, and I wear them once a week, every week. Concrete, roofing, etc, they take a beating, and are just now showing signs of wear. Make sure you order one size longer in the inseam, because they run a little short..... So 38" inseam? Haha.
I've wanted to try their "dry on the fly" pants for sugaring thinking maybe they might be good for working in the snow without wearing snow pants but the price tag has kept me from trying them so far.

Worcester
02-15-2015, 10:18 AM
I have a pair of Codet wool pants that I pretty much wear the entire season.
I got them at Salvation army for maybe two dollars, but they seem to be about $100 new
Johnson has good stuff, I have a wool/nylon blend jacket from them and it is very tough.
I have also had success with 100% wool GI pants at army navy retailers. typically these can be had for $5-30 per pair and are very tough.

red maples
02-15-2015, 11:54 AM
carrhart overalls for REALLY COLD. other wise I just have a pair of carhart brown duck pants a size too big and wear sweat pants under if needed and I am good!! I don't like to be too bulky. can't move and start sweatin'

CampHamp
02-15-2015, 02:39 PM
"Minus 33" makes thick ("Expedition Weight") 100% wool underwear bottoms. Soft and thick. These with jeans and gators or a cheap shell if on the tractor or in the deep fluff. I used to like the LL Bean flannel jeans, but prefer these now.

Here's what they look like (http://www.minus33.com/shop-merino-wool/mens/katmai-mens-expedition-bottom/).

GeneralStark
02-19-2015, 06:41 PM
I have a pair of Codet wool pants that I pretty much wear the entire season.
I got them at Salvation army for maybe two dollars, but they seem to be about $100 new
Johnson has good stuff, I have a wool/nylon blend jacket from them and it is very tough.
I have also had success with 100% wool GI pants at army navy retailers. typically these can be had for $5-30 per pair and are very tough.

I second the army surplus wool pants. Johnson wool products are excellent but pricey, and the army surplus stuff is almost as good.

northwoods_forestry
02-20-2015, 06:19 AM
My 20 year old Johnson wool pants finally gave out this year and I broke down and paid the big bucks for a pair of Filson wool hunters pants (on sale too). Tore a hole in them the second time I wore them and Filson replaced them immediately, free of charge and no questions asked. I mostly wear these for cruising timber where I spend a fair amount of time at my plots measuring trees. Its cold work, but these pants made a huge difference - toasty warm even on the coldest days and we've had a few cold ones this winter!

Calycanthus
02-25-2015, 06:41 AM
I've been ordering from Duluth for several years, and of all the places I've dealt with, either in person or through mail order (including internet sources), Duluth is one that stands out from the rest in customer service. And I have high standards of expectation in that category. I can't say I've ever been dissatisfied with anything I ever got from them. Or put this way...it's been 18? 19? years since I first ordered from them. A). I still consider them one of the best companies to do business with that I deal with. B). I still have the first pair of jeans I ordered from them.

I've tried a few of their pants over the years. Every time, the price kept me from trying it earlier. Every time, I kicked myself later for not being willing to take the plunge.

When it comes to cold weather gear, I'm a bit of an oxymoron. My fingers and my toes get cold quick, the rest of me could care less about the temperature. Thank goodness for Smartwool. I'll wear a light weight rain suit on cold, windy days, and other than keeping an extra pair or two of socks around, that's about it.