PDA

View Full Version : bouncing pipeline

highlandcattle
11-26-2014, 12:15 PM
The snowstorm started a while ago and so did our dancing pipeline! I took video of it. I think when the pressure changes it makes the pipeline start bouncing. Anyone else see this on theirs?

adk1
11-26-2014, 12:53 PM
mine does it constantly. particularly when it snows, then the sun comes out the next day..its starts bouncing

batsofbedlam
11-26-2014, 01:52 PM
My lines do this all of the time. I believe it is a natural harmonic relationship between the length of the pipeline and the wind speed passing over it.

maple flats
11-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I have just one that does it a lot all the time, the rest all do it to a lesser degree.

BreezyHill
11-26-2014, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=batsofbedlam;261677]My lines do this all of the time. I believe it is a natural harmonic relationship between the length of the pipeline and the wind speed passing over it.[/QUOTE
Spot on...the Heavy snow falling on the lines can start the wave as will a squirrel or a bird moving across or taking off or even landing on the line. They usually need to be fairly tight to get a small wave but less taught will produce longer waves.

The wind wipes our utility in as much as 8' from the through to the peak. Amazing the poles don't snap...but the are anchored really well.

It is really neat to see!

Happy Thanksgiving All!

maple flats
11-27-2014, 07:10 AM
While the difference may be different tensions, mine are all a very similar tension, and get re-tensioned before every season if needed. I tend to think the difference is either related to the length of span or the composition or lay of the land/air currants. In my case the one that does it far more is my last remaining black pipe mainline, all others are blue 30P. The black one is one HT wire, as are a few of the 30P, but the greatest number of 30P are using the 'Rapi-tube" method, with no wire on the mains, but the wet/dry conductors have wire support.