PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Finisher/ Bottler

toothfairy050
11-22-2014, 02:12 PM
I am trying to get some ideas on a homemade finisher/bottler. I wanted to use a steam pan under my homemade finisher. Will I be able to finish syrup with a steam pan heated on a turkey firer LP burner? I have some SS pans that are fairly heavy gauge that I was going to use for the steam pan and finishing pan. I was going to have a 1/2 inch valve and a therm port welded into the finishing pan.

bowhunter
11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Physics are working against you. The temperature of the steam pan is about 212 F maximum (boiling point of water) and it will not boil syrup. You will need to finish with the finishing pan directly over the fire and use the steam pan set up to bottle so you don't form niter while bottling.

Mark-NH
11-22-2014, 07:48 PM
You will be fine with the turkey fryer as your heat source. I think Bowhunter misunderstood and thought your heat source was a steamer.

NhShaun
11-22-2014, 10:04 PM
I am making my finisher out of an extra 20qt stainless stock pot. Drilled two holes and installing a stainless ball valve and thermometer. Pretty cheap for both on amazon. Throw it on top of the propane turkey fryer and it should work well... i hope.

bowhunter
11-24-2014, 01:28 PM
Shaun the simple answer is you can't use the steam pan when you're finishing syrup. The turkey frier works fine to finish without the steam pan. You can use the steam pan when you bottle.