PDA

View Full Version : listing ingredients

Dennis H.
11-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Ok, the time has come for me to explore the realm of value added products.
I have now made granulated sugar and getting ready to try some maple candy.

But my question is for other value added products that have maple in it not just its sole ingredient.
The example is maple mustard. BBQ sauce, etc.
Do we need to list all the ingredients? In my example of maple mustard I use maple syrup and French's mustard.
Do I have to list any of the ingredients or all the ingredients? Can I get away with Maple syrup and mustard, or do I need to list all the ingredients that French's uses in the mustard.

What does other people do in this case?

mellondome
11-21-2014, 08:44 AM
You must list all ingredients. You will copy the mustard label and add pure maple syrup.
In PA, if it is more than just maple, your recipe must be approved by the state.

red maples
11-21-2014, 10:52 AM
every state is different and we have differnt rules in NH about homestead type kitchens and their limitations but what you can do is something like this which is what I do:

Maple syrup, Prepared mustard(mustard seed, vinegar, tumeric) and what ever else is in there.

just put the ingredients just as they are listed on the container in parenthesis. same as if you add liquid smoke or spice mix, or ketchup or Whorstshire (sp) sauce what ever.

unc23win
11-21-2014, 11:30 AM
I just asked my dealer this same question. In PA you have to list all ingredients and the percentage of each used in order from highest percent to lowest. Somewhere there is documentation, but haven't found it yet. It mIght be in North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual I don't have mine with me.

Dennis H.
11-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys for the help, I'll dig around to see if maybe the Dept. of Ag has anything.

I like the way you said to list the ingredients Red Maples.

SeanD
11-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Listing by net weight is standard practice. Check with your local board of health. That's where the buck stops in MA. We have similar cottage industry language in our state laws, but the locals have the jurisdiction over what they accept or not accept. I think that;s the case in a lot of places.

I had to jump through a number of hoops to get permitted to go beyond pure maple syrup. In the end, it was worth it to get ok'd for candy, cream, cotton candy, and nuts, but barbecue sauces and the like fall into a separate category that I chose to stay out of.

Worse than the hoops (which is a story in and of itself), the fees were the killer. It would cost me $250 to apply for the kitchen permit, $200 for the inspection fee, and $50 for the seasonal permit to sell at the farmers market. Plus I had to get ServSafe certified as a food manager and I had to get the allergen certification. That was another $110 and a day off of work to attend the training.

I would have to sell a lot of sauce to cover all of that, so I opted just rent our space in a local kitchen and pay the $50 seasonal fee. I still had to be ServSafe certified, though. So, guess the moral of the story is to check with your local BOH before you move too far ahead.

Sean

mellondome
11-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Your inspector should be able to get that info for you quickly..and where to submit for the testing of your recipe for state approval.
Go to the source of the regulation... it better than any input from the rest of us as they will be the ones inspecting you and requesting documentation that your recipe and labeling has been state approved.

Dennis H.
11-22-2014, 07:46 AM
I was planning on contacting my inspector, I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.