PDA

View Full Version : New Pans 30" x8'

n8hutch
11-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Late last night my new pan set came in, set them up on the Arch tonight. Thought I would share A few pictures cause I know how you all like new stainless, I got the Arch Used from A fellow trader he met me about half way with it about A month ago "thanks again Steve"1000810009, ordered the pans this spring from SmokyLake and they were delivered late Fall as promised. I couldn't be happier with them. But then again I boiled on a 2x4 last year so it's going to be a big change.

Schiefe4
11-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Looking good!

Drew Pond Maple
11-20-2014, 06:55 PM
Like the same side draw.
How many taps will be feeding it?

Look great. I'm jealous

NhShaun
11-20-2014, 06:58 PM
Nice upgrade for sure! I hope you will be keeping that beast hydrated with sap this season.

asknupp
11-20-2014, 07:32 PM
Nice rig n8!

n8hutch
11-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Looking like 500 taps this year, still have a few places to look at, would like to find A few more if I could. As for the same side reverse I am excited to try it, kind of unsure how it is going to work, it travels through a 1" pipe on the back side of the pan for 24" or so hopefully it doesn't cool down too much.

NhShaun
11-21-2014, 01:13 PM
500 sounds sufficient, but the more the better. Don't forget to check out my land haha, gotta be a few on their for tapping.

As for the cooling on the 24" pipe travel.. i know nothing about same side reverse, but maybe you could insulate that section of pipe somehow if it does end up cooling to quickly.

jimsudz
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
hey n8hutch, nice looking pans . Never seen a pan configuration like that . tell us about it. thanks jim

n8hutch
11-21-2014, 06:23 PM
It is essentially a cross flow pan that you can reverse but turning the two valves from the original post, first picture shows the pipe that carries the sap/syrup from the channel closest to flue pan all the way to the channel closest to the arch front, then the liquid makes its way through the last 2 channels back to the channel next closest to the flue pan, so basically your channel that you would be drawing off is always pretty close to the flue pan which I have found on the evaporators I have used ( only 2) is the hottest area, hopefully it works well, I guess it depends on what you like, some people may prefer to draw off from a colder channel.

Bucket Head
11-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Nate,

Very nice! It looks great. Thats a neat syrup pan. I like that set-up! No "musical pans" inorder to reverse. Now you've got me thinking...

I see you had to "modify" a little. How much over thirty inches is the syrup pan? Is it just the tube and extension that got in the way of the "tabs"? At least it was a quick fix!

With all that new stainless, on sunny days will you be handing out complimentary sunglasses to sugarhouse visitors? Or installing shades on the windows?

n8hutch
11-22-2014, 05:53 AM
I don't think I will have to modify the arch , I can get a pan gasket up to 1" thich but I think I will probably go with the 1/2" stuff, the pan connecters only stick out about 1/8 bellow the pan surface, I may bowl out the arch rails slightly when I am absolutely sure where everything is going to sit, I have noticed that CDL does that on there Arch's To get there drawoff boxes to fit, with no I'll effects.

Drew Pond Maple
11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm confused with your syrup pan. I thought it was like leaders reverse flow pan. But in the second set of pics i see a pipe and can't understand what it does. Can you get a pic or two of the entire front pan?

Also what is the rear pan in the first pic? Looks like a cross flow pan between stack and flue pan. Never seen anything like it before

n8hutch
11-23-2014, 05:54 PM
It is like leaders pan but instead of having a channel lengthwise like leader has there is a pipe that carries the liquid, from the front of the arch to the back of the syrup pan, the pan behind the flue pan is just a used 18" x30" syrup pan I am using to heat hot water, I ended up with a longer arch than pans so I figured I would take advantage of the free heat.

n8hutch
03-04-2015, 08:54 PM
Got the feed tank plumbed up tonight. Just waiting on my steam hood, steam pipe & roof jacks, supposed to be done tomorrow. Cutting it close.

Sugarmaker
03-05-2015, 07:17 AM
Very nice!
Good work on your new evaporator and pans. Nice sugarhouse.
When ever I see those external pipes it reminds me of the old Warren evaporator I learned to boil on in the stone ages:).
Regards,
Chris

n8hutch
03-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Metal guy came through, picked up my 3x9 hood , 12' of 18" aluminum steam stack, & 2 roof jacks today .one 12" one 18", roof jacks are galvanized. Still waiting on 18" cap & insulation cover for smoke pipe where it passes through rafters/ floor joists. Came out great, I'll post some pics when I get it all up.

n8hutch
03-18-2015, 07:52 AM
So I finally got to boil some sap with my new Evaporator. The Arch is A 30" by 10' Waterloo with A full 2" of insulation throughout except for the front, it has a 4' deep fire box. I bought the Arch used off the trader from bucket head/ Steven Grant.
The Pans are New Smokey Lake 30" by 8' with same side reverse flow. I set the pans back 6" from the front of the Arch because every evaporator I have ever been around tended to not boil real well tight to the front. So that left we with a 18" space at the back of the sap pan. I covered the open areas with 3/8 mild steel & welded a 1/4, 1-1/2" angle iron 1/2" from the edge to hold my pan gasket against the front/back of the pans & give the plate a little more strength.
I couldn't be happier with the way it boils, you can touch the arch anywhere except the front while it is boiling & there is no smoke or flames/ embers coming out the stack , burns clean as can be. My wife would probably prefer A little more heat to come off the evaporator to be honest with you.
The pans work really well. Never had float boxes before always just had valves to control pan levels. The Float boxes seem to work great & the syrup pan seems to establish a gradient really well. I included a few pictures showing the covered areas & the gradient.
The Arch, Stack & Pans are all stainless. I think I ended up with about 9,000.00 in this rig but it was a lot of fun to put together and build. Not sure if I really saved any money vs just buying a new 30" x8' from leader or lapierre but I think if I had to do it all over again I would do the same thing.