PDA

View Full Version : what comes first the brick or the board?

davey
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM
My question pertains to my oil fired conversion. which is on the fire-side, the ceramic blanket or the bricks? Is it arch, blanket, brick or arch, brick, blanket? I've been reading through old posts and have seen many different ideas on this.
thanks
Dave

brookledge
01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Dave you want the ceramic blanket exposed to the flame. That way when you shut down it is almost an imediate stop in boiling. If you already have brick in the arch leave it there and lay the blanket over the brick.
Keith

HanginAround
01-16-2007, 06:30 PM
If you don't have brick or board already, don't bother with it... just a couple layers of 1" blanket is all you need in an oil-fired. The brick doesn't really have very good insulation value unless you use the insulating brick.

davey
01-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I do have the brick already, but it is sitting on a pallet still. I have the 2" 2300 degree blanket ordered which is supposed to be here tomorrow.

HanginAround
01-16-2007, 06:55 PM
I would certainly not bother with brick in an oil-fired. The only reason to use it in a wood-fired is because nothing else will stand up to having wood thrown at it. And even then, you put arch board under it for insulating value because the brick is a poor insulator.

mapleman3
01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
they recommend 2600 deg, I doubled up 2300 deg, it is still looking as new as when I put it in !!

I recommend if you know somebody that tunes oil burners.. have hime do a combustion test and get the flame as efficient as you can....A clean hot flame is great!!!

oneoldsap
01-21-2007, 10:35 AM
We insulated our rig with one layer of board, Two layers of 1" blanket. I think we got it somewhere near right. We evaporate over 300 Gal . Per Hr.in our 5x14 Grimm Lightning You still don't want to put your hand on it though! Maybe another inch would be better.