PDA

View Full Version : Test Boil

Urban Sugarmaker
11-19-2014, 12:10 PM
I have a Mason 2x4 XL and I finally got it up and running yesterday and then again today with a full fire. The blower is worth every penny. I am using the router speed control from Harbor Freight and running the blower at medium speed. It's very quiet. Went from ice cold water to boiling in the 2 center pan sections in about 17 minutes without trying hard. So glad I built a steam hatch for the roof because this thing makes a TON of steam and I wasn't even running at full blast. The hatch opening is 2'x4' and I still had a lot of steam floating around. Maybe I need to open the door more to allow more steam out. What's everyone else's experience with steam venting for you guys that don't have hoods?

Needless to say, the Mason 2x4 is awesome. Can't wait for the first run.

maple flats
11-19-2014, 06:11 PM
make a hood with steam stack. On my first 3 evaporators I made aluminum hoods with aluminum stack. I might suggest a 7 or 8" steam stack. My first 2 were made with rolled aluminum roof flashing, my 3rd I bought sheets of 36" x 96" from a metal dealer. I used an aluminum trim brake (I used to side houses at one time), the 3rd required me to help the clamps by heavy duty bracing to hold each of the big C clamps from flexing because the aluminum was too heavy for it (1/16" thick)

Urban Sugarmaker
11-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Good ideas. But isn't there any guys out there with no hood and just a cupola? I have a 2x4 opening in the roof directly above the pan. I thought this would work as well as a cupola. It works but like I said, still a lot of "fog" floating around. No where near a complete white-out, but enough to be a nuisance. I'm not too worried, but I wanted to see what others have experienced.

Thompson's Tree Farm
11-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Try it on a low humidity day. There will be a world of difference. Most of the time I have very little "fog" in my sugarhouse, but when the air is heavy there will be some. I keep all doors and windows closed at all times as I have just natural draft and do not want cross currents and drafts affecting my boil.

RC Maple
11-20-2014, 07:40 AM
I 'm not putting off the amount of steam that you are - my pan is 2x3 and I don't have a blower. My cupola openings are 1.5'x6' and the inside of the sugarhouse is fog free most of the time. I have 2 windows on both the East and West sides of the building and one on the North and South side that I have to play with when I first get going for the day. Every day is different and sometimes I even have to have the door cracked a little bit. After I get that figured out though the inside stays nice. As the weather changes during the day - or the wind I can play with my cupola doors too - either both open or partially open or closing one side. Good luck!

flhr10
11-28-2014, 12:21 PM
I built this over my evaporator. Goes right up to coupala opening. Works awesome.

Urban Sugarmaker
11-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I think I may need to give it more time. When I tested the temperature was in the teens and I opened and closed the garage doors a few times. I am guessing with a warmer day, and a few hours of boiling this won't be as big a problem. Keeping the door open a crack won't hurt. I was probably creating too many currents opening and closing the door. My hatch was not all the way open either. I will have to experiment with different things.

flhr10 --- nice setup, looks like I could build that easily in my building.

Thanks