PDA

View Full Version : Sp-11 motor size?

Maplewalnut
11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
Have an electric motor 3/4 horse says rpm 1425-1725. Any reason why it would not work for an sp-11? I recall a 3 inch pulley should be used with that set up.

Thanks
Mike

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
11-17-2014, 06:21 PM
i had an sp11 and run it with 1.5 hp, 3/4 is kind of small if you want to get 22 inches of vac. just my thoughts

BreezyHill
11-17-2014, 06:41 PM
The book says .85 hp motor and a 3.25 or 3.5" pulley depending on the desired pump rpm.

The .75 will likely do the job but you may want to have a 1 hp in your mind while looking around. The stress that we tappers put on the pump is quite a bit more than the milkers put on the units.
A 3" pulley would spin the pump to slow, so spring for a 3.5 to spin it at 475 rpm with the pump with a 12" driven pulley. Just check the speed of your motor is at 1725. Otherwise you will need to change the drive pulley to turn the pump at the right rpm.

unc23win
11-17-2014, 06:52 PM
I run a 1.5 Horse Marathon Farm Duty motor from TSC on mine with a 3.5" pulley I think it runs 1700ish RPMS.

Maplewalnut
11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Guys thanks for the quick response. Lost a lead on an sp-22 for $200 and now I am scrambling to put something together from the parts I have around

Mike

BreezyHill
11-17-2014, 07:45 PM
How many cfms do you need?

Maplewalnut
11-17-2014, 08:55 PM
How many cfms do you need?

Only 400 taps max but Releaser will be 600ft from pump connected by 1 inch line

BreezyHill
11-17-2014, 09:30 PM
At 475 rpm of the pump it will make 10 cfm.
Steve Child's cfm chart shows at 600 feet you will only get 8 cfm thru the line off a 15 cfm pump; but on a 100 cfm pump you only can get 9 due to frictional loses. So I am thinking you should be able to get around 6-7 at the pump.

If you were to install a balance tank at the releaser it would help to equalize when your releaser cycles. A balance tank of the same size or larger than the releaser would result in less surging on the tubing system.

On our old system we had a Surge bb2, predecessor to the SP -11. It would run 24" until the releaser cycled and the vac would drop of to around 14" and then back to 24 in a moment. We installed a 5 gallon SS milking pail for a balance tank and the vac would not fall below 22". The pail was a good five times larger than the releaser, so when the releaser dumped to 0" the pail was still at 24" and would bring the ) up quickly as the vac balanced between the small releaser and the large pail. The line to the pail was over sized and connected back to the pump for rapid evacuation. A swing check valve on the manifold would keep the vac on the tubing from dropping when the releaser cycled.

While the remote pump location is not ideal there are plenty of modifications that can be done to make it work the best it can for you.

Send me a pm I have a line on a pump in your neck of the woods.

tuckermtn
11-18-2014, 06:20 AM
i would suggest as small of a pulley on the motor end as you can get. I like to run surge pumps slow and then tighten down on the vac regulator to keep 22" at pump. seems to keep the heat down. I also had a 1hp baldor motor on the SP-11.

red maples
11-18-2014, 06:56 AM
you could even run a 3/4 hp motor on an sp11. I would recommend a 1 hp as well. it will be able to hold higher vac numbers more consistently and have the extra power to regenerate he system when the releaser dumps. I had a BB2 which I think is the equivelent older model number and I could pull 24 - 26" inches consistently with a 3/4 hp motor.

BreezyHill
11-18-2014, 07:28 AM
i would suggest as small of a pulley on the motor end as you can get. I like to run surge pumps slow and then tighten down on the vac regulator to keep 22" at pump. seems to keep the heat down. I also had a 1hp baldor motor on the SP-11.

This is not a good idea. The piston pump is designed with a oil splashier that flings oil up and onto the cylinder wall for lubrication of the cylinder. When the rpm is reduced less oil reaches the cylinder walls and damage occurs. To much speed and there will be excessive oil reaching the cylinder top and being expelled out the exhausted port.
Oil level is also very curtail to the proper lubrication of the pump all four different models of the BB series require different amounts of oil. To low and the splashier is ineffective, to high and the splashier makes a wave. The same is the case for oils. To think, like a motor oil and not enough oil reaches the cylinder wall. If it is not a nonfoaming when water contaminates the oil the splashier is unable to lubricate the pump and you will cause rusting of the cam, bearings and the rotary valve system.

As a kid when my dad rebuilt these as a surge dealer, he would be mad that owners would throw on any motor and pulley combination to get by for a while; when a motor would fail. Then it would run the pump for a while and then they would start to have problems with the pulsators not working right, so he would rebuild them or just clean them and then it would happen again. Then he would look at the pump to see why it was not making enough vac to operate the pulsator; just to find the pump was running to slow or to fast and it would need a rebuild.

They would end up paying for a motor in the end but would have a few service calls and a pump rebuild on top of the motor charge.

So be very careful on changing the speed of these pumps, they are not rotary pumps that can handle variable speeds.