PDA

View Full Version : Sap tank suggestions

TrentonMaple
11-13-2014, 11:19 AM
So I'm finishing up my 12x16 sugarhouse. One of the parts I've saved till the end is a head tank setup. I'd be really grateful for opinions or suggestions on my setup before I start building it.

I have a 275 gallon IBC container that I was going to set on a platform outside the house on the back wall (out of sight by demand of the wife). I planned to build about a 5' platform out of treated braced 4x4s with a deck on top for the container. Then run piping through the wall into the evaporator.

I have a few concerns. The weight of a full IBC is around 2200lbs. I think 4 4x4's set in concrete would hold that, but if anyone has experience doing this I would love to hear about it (or see a photo for ideas). Also, having it outside the house is also a concern. In the early season, it would likely freeze every night, but in the late season it would definitely be cooler outside.

Appreciate any help!

jrmaple
11-13-2014, 11:45 AM
I know this is a big difference but I have seen a lot of producers using telephone poles, but most of them are using anywhere from 600 to 2,000 gallon stainless tanks, I personally was able to use a pre-existing foundation that was build in a hill so the north side was 6' higher so I didn't run into this problem when I build my first sugar house. But when I build my new sugar house either this coming summer or the following I will be using telephone poles for my stand. Also considering if you will ever expand in the future, if you will have a larger head tank down the round, might be worth the few extra $$$ to get some 6x6's or even 8x8 if you think you will be expanding.

psparr
11-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Each 4x4 has a compressive strength of over 7000#. You'll be ok. Just be sure to cross brace it.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-13-2014, 11:59 AM
My tote is on 4x4pt posts and is braced off good. sounds good to me. take care.

unc23win
11-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Each 4x4 has a compressive strength of over 7000#. You'll be ok. Just be sure to cross brace it.

Sounds right. You can look up the strength of most lumber by searching google relatively easy. I would say that most of us build our tank platforms a lot heftier than they need to be.

A good addition to the tank is a site tube inside so you don't have to go outside to check the sap level.

lpakiz
11-13-2014, 04:46 PM
An alternative to cross-bracing would be to use plywood. It makes it easy to square the posts up. Might make some usable space inside too, if for nothing else, to hid your recent maple purchases from prying eyes. If you know what I mean.....
You might want to make at least one side of the platform be large enough to allow you to stand next to the tank, for cleaning.

SeanD
11-13-2014, 05:09 PM
That's a really big head tank. Will it also serve as your collection tank and do you have an easy way to lift the sap up 5'-9'?

Are you still around 100 taps? I am too. I will be using the big tote next to the sugar house for collection and then pump into a 55 gal. drum as a head tank. I only fill it with 30 gallons at a time or so. That gives me about an hour+ of boiling.

Sean

Mark-NH
11-13-2014, 07:54 PM
That is a much bigger head tank than you need. Consider keeping that on the ground and pump up to a much smaller head tank inside the sugar house.

adk1
11-13-2014, 08:40 PM
I use a 55 gallon barrel for my head tank, worked great last year

handtapper
11-13-2014, 08:57 PM
I'd put the big tank in the snow and put a 55gallon drum up there. I assume your boiling around 10gph? That gives you 5.5 hours between fills which should be good. I wouldnt want to fill more often then that, I have other things to do while boiling. If that tank is both your head and holding tank you could have spoilage problems come late season having it up high. Its also easier to haul a drum down for cleaning then a tote.

Bucket Head
11-13-2014, 09:05 PM
I use a 55 gallon as a head tank also.

Sunday Rock Maple
11-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Whatever size tank you decide on, it would be helpful to install a float switch that would maintain a constant level in the tank to within an inch or so. The switch would run a pump in a larger storage tank to feed the header tank. This would cut down on the pressure variation on your float valve in the evaporator and your rig should run more evenly (until you get down to the last of your sap and the level in the tank drops below the switch).

Super Sapper
11-14-2014, 05:29 AM
If you are going to try to maintain a level in your head tank you will have to throttle the pump feeding it to just slightly faster than you are boiling off. Frequent starting and stopping a pump will burn it out in a short time.

TrentonMaple
11-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Thanks everyone - that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I like the idea of a 55 gallon head tank inside the sugarhouse better. That makes much more sense to me. Then I could keep the IBC on the ground banked in snow to keep cool. It also means less concrete poured.

I have 2 IBCs. I am going to keep one at the bottom of my sugarbush for tubing to run into, then I'll keep the other outside the house.

SeanD
11-14-2014, 04:22 PM
I put my head tank inside up in the rafters last year and it worked, but it was a bit of a PIA. I made up a tray to catch the drips, but sometimes it didn't work. It also wasn't fun to head up there during a boil to make adjustments when I was first getting going with it. It will be easier to get to it when I need to when I move it outside on a platform for next year.

Sean

red maples
11-14-2014, 04:34 PM
I use a 55 gallon plastic as a head tank too but its getting too small. Its also a PITA to keep clean especially now with the RO, concentrate + Plastic = nasty mold really fast. I really want a 100 Stainless tank I already have a platform outside and its SOOO much easier to clean quick spray of water a little brushing maybe poof clean!!!

relseek
11-14-2014, 05:34 PM
I use a 30 gallon water tank like this one below inside the shack and a caged IBC outside at the end of each night I shut down by emptying the inside tank.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-gallon-Fresh-water-tank-Camper-RV-Horse-Trailer-FDA-apprv-/290699539584

brookledge
11-14-2014, 06:43 PM
What ever you do keep in mind how easy it will be to clean the tank. Don't want to build something that can't be easily cleaned. Then I would use the rule of thumb to size your head tank to be big enough to hold enough for shut down. Meaning you want to make sure you have enough capacity so in the event that youhave a hot fire going and have some sort of problem with your feed pump etc. That way you can stop feeding the fire and your tank has enough to keep the evaporator fed while it cools down. Based on the 2by 4 evaporator you have a 30 or 55 gal would be big enough
Keith

handtapper
11-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Id put it outside on the north side of your shack at the lowest height that works for your floatbox or what have you. Red maples I ordered a stainless head tank for this year your spot on about those totes molding up. By the time you can see it imagine the amount of mold in the tank. I went for a bit more than 100 gallons though, I don't want to have to refill it every two hours. Plus it gives me more storage. The price and size in sq feet between 100-250gallons was minor, at least with cdl.