PDA

View Full Version : 185 degres + bottling

poulin
11-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Hi all,

with the deer hunting season coming to an end, it is now time to address some of the issues I had last year, my first one.

It is already decided to move up from 100 taps to 150, all buckets.

one of the issues I had last year is I have had a hard time finishing right off my 2X6 evaporator. it seemed like if I've had to boil forever. What i did at the end is finishing on a separate SS pot on a propane burner. Unless I find the right adjustments with the evaporator i will likely continue that way.

Anyway, whether it is at the right brix from the evaporator or a separate finisher, I then poor it in a SS vertical filtering can and bottled just right off the filtering can. The problem is I did not control the temperature at the end of this process and we are talking about fairly small batches.

I wish to improve this process. I no longer want to make gifts to my friends and have to say : make sure you keep it in the fridge...

How would you proceed ? I am thinking about buying another pot or pan and poor my finished/filtered syrup in, accumulate and keep at 185 degrees or re-heat it when I have enough. Is this the way to go or you have better ideas ?

Thanks in advance

handtapper
11-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Can your stainless filtering can go on a propane burner or is it a coffee filter/dispenser? If if is a cone filter or similiar id have a stainless bung welded on there and put a thermometer on it.

Bucket Head
11-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Yes, it can be difficult finishing off the evaporator. Many folks finish after it comes off the evaporator. Nothing wrong with how your doing it and probably should keep doing it that way since they are small batches.

Keeping the syrup at 185 is crucial for bottling. I'll tell you how we did it for years. I bought two stainless, restaurant supply-like, gallon capacity tea pots. We would heat up one or both (depending on how much syrup we finished) and we would line up our jugs along the edge of the kitchen counter. Then we would go right down the line filling them. It was quick and we would'nt lose too much heat doing it this way, ensuring the proper bottling temp. But keeping a digital stem thermometer in the pot will allow you to keep an eye on the temperature.

Its a quick and neat way to fill jugs with a small amount of syrup. We have a canner now (and you will too someday) but we still have the tea pots. They'll still work if we should run out of propane!

Steve

brookledge
11-12-2014, 09:38 PM
You would be better off if you let the syrup run through the filter and then reheat back to 185. I know it is another step but you need to insure that you are able to hot pack it so it doesnt spoil. After all your hard work you dont want to have that happen so until you can get a canner with a heat source just reheat it on the stove and bottle it that way
Keith

happy thoughts
11-13-2014, 10:56 AM
I tend to agree with brookledge. I'd take it a little farther and add that 185 is the minimum packing temp in the bottle *when the lid goes on*. You might want to heat to just a little higher and/or pack in warmed containers if using glass, as some cooling may occur during transfer from the pot to the bottle.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-13-2014, 11:53 AM
I agree with you, I run my filter-finisher at 190 degrees then bottle it and cool it bottoms up.

poulin
11-13-2014, 05:45 PM
All interesting comments, thanks.

When you refer to a canner with heating source, which device would be appropriate for a small production like mine ? Any picture ? I could have access to electricity if that can guide you in your advices.

unc23win
11-13-2014, 07:53 PM
Something like this most use propane. http://leaderevaporator.com/p-6-gas-fired-filter-and-canning-unit-16-x-16.aspx

This is just an example all the manufacturers sell similar canners. There is one in the classifieds.

psparr
11-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Quite a few of us smaller guys use coffee urns. Picked up one two years ago at a yard sale. Holds temp right at 185. You can search on here on how to do it right. But works great for me.

maple milker
11-14-2014, 02:48 PM
I draw off finished syrup from my 2x6 raised flue and collect in a 16inx20in finishing pan. After I have collected 8 gallons or so I'll heat this back up and run through my Smokey Lake filter pan that has that hot water bath. You can maintain 190 degree temp and take your time with the bottling process.

Flat Lander Sugaring
11-21-2014, 05:20 AM
#1 is your arch insulated? Not Bricked but insulated. If not make this a priority keep that heat inside
you shouldnt have no problem finishing it off the arch and filter and bottle right then. Takes two people but can be done. Did it for several years on a 3x10 never had any syrup go bad.
I myself draw off filter and save like others do. Once I have 15/20 gal saved reheat filter a second time into canner check Brix and bottle..