PDA

View Full Version : round D&G draw off tanks

red maples
11-10-2014, 12:04 PM
So I am getting a filter press next weekend... always exciting getting new toys...

But with that I will need a draw off tank.

I really like the 15 gallon round draw off tank from D & G. it will be perfect for my 2 x 6 as it will just about hold the contents of my pans for cleaning. its only 16" in diameter so it fit pretty tight next to the Evap. The cart is an extra $128 so I will probably do something else for wheels I can make something for WAY less on that. is it tappered inside?

Just curious if anyone else has one of any size how they like them?

Maplewalnut
11-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Red maples

Check with Neil Walling of Wallings Maple...he had a used one for sale he only used a season or two because he outgrew it. Not sure if he still has it. He is a D&G dealer also.

Mark
11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
So I am getting a filter press next weekend... always exciting getting new toys...

But with that I will need a draw off tank.

I really like the 15 gallon round draw off tank from D & G. it will be perfect for my 2 x 6 as it will just about hold the contents of my pans for cleaning. its only 16" in diameter so it fit pretty tight next to the Evap. The cart is an extra $128 so I will probably do something else for wheels I can make something for WAY less on that. is it tappered inside?

Just curious if anyone else has one of any size how they like them?

It is not tapered but the bottom is coned up a little in the middle of the bottom on the ones I have. I have the 25 and 50.

Amber Gold
11-11-2014, 07:43 AM
It's worth getting the cart. Pretty handy and it's made for it. Think about how easy it'll be to roll around when it's full of liquid. A handmade cart, or maybe a moving dolly, may not work as well.

red maples
11-11-2014, 06:47 PM
We'll see, I had to turn down the Wallings maple one its too wide for that side. I am looking at the CDL one too its a little more $$$ but its 18 gallons and is only 15 inches in diameter which would be even better. the 25 gallon is too wide at 20" I wouldn't be able to walk around that side of the evap comfortably. the D&G 15 gallon is only 16" and like I said the CDL is only 15", Lapierre has a 15 gallon that is much cheaper its there "filter" tank but the tank with cart is cheaper than both the CDL and D&G tanks without the cart. I just emailed Chris Pfeil to find out the diameter for me but I think its 15" if I remember correctly. Still shopping around. see how much money have. I still wanna buy a 100 gallon SS head tank too. and I wanna get 2-330 gallon cage tanks for permeate. Russ Lampron told me how to set up the Permeate tanks to make it easier for cleaning. and of course I will have to build a platform for them too. trying swing the filter press and Draw off tank first... then cage tanks... then head tank... mo money mo money mo money!!!

GeneralStark
11-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Brad - How much syrup are you making per hour? How will you keep the syrup at filtering/canning temp. from the draw off tank?

unc23win
11-11-2014, 08:01 PM
Brad maybe you already thought of this and I am not sure what you have for a filter press, but if space is an issue you could always draw off into a smaller tank/kettle (a home brew kettle for instance) to feed your press, then use your press to pump the syrup to your tank. I know guys who pump it into a canning room that way.

red maples
11-16-2014, 05:59 AM
I picked up the press yesterday. Way up in Bakersfield VT. 3hr 30 min north of me but smugglers notch is closed so extra 1/2 hr added on. Visited my sister while I was up there in Waterville VT. Was making good time on my way home and broke down in New London. yippie. (1hr 20 min. from home) Thank goodness for AAA added an extra 2 hrs to my ride waiting and riding in the flat bed truck. Engine cut out and I killed the battery trying to get it started again. not getting fuel same thing happened in July injectors were gummed up it weird it happened again in only 3 months.

The important thing is the filterpress is home with me now safe and sound. :) its a 7" wes fab 1/2 bank on a full bank press. it was only used 1 or 2 seasons. still pretty clean.

after talking and getting some tips from folks (my first filter press) I think I am gonna skip the new fancy round draw off tank and use my old large hotel pan canner I had a threaded fitting welded onto so it will word out good and I have a stainless valve that will fit on it already as well. its narrow and doesn't hold that much syrup 3.5 -4 gallons I think and set up the coleman stove under it. (just need to keep the press warm some how. I'll figure out something) and then I can heat it to filter it. I will get something custom made in the future. but this will get through this year. I belive I can get a pan made that will be cheaper than any round canner I can buy and I can get the pan made to be narrow enough to fit nicely beside the evap. I can even stick with the coleman stove or make burner to fit nicely under the pan and everything right in line with the press. then I will have more than enough money to buy a 100 gallon stainless head tank. and 2 cage tanks. and build a platform.