PDA

View Full Version : November journal

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
With winter just around the corner I'm working like a fool trying to get it all done. Stopped at CDL this morning awesome people there!!! Picked up 1000'of main and 500'of lateral and some fittings. switching over to 5/16 taps from 7/16 on this expansion. probably switch the rest next year. Got some firewood done more to go. Good luck to everyone getting it all done!!!!:lol::lol:

maple flats
11-03-2014, 05:44 PM
COMSTOCK, that sounds like a lot of main for just 500' of laterals.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-03-2014, 07:36 PM
I have left over from last year. It does sound a little odd:lol:

AdirondackSap
11-03-2014, 08:27 PM
Hey Derrick its Dave was just wondering if you still had my copy of North American Maple syrup book?

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-03-2014, 10:27 PM
Yeah it's right on the end table. I got to meet up soon get it back to ya. How you been ?? Short season eh !!

AdirondackSap
11-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Yea everyone got spanked around here about half production as last year. I ended up adding about thousand more taps and putting everything on a vaccum system this year. Ended up getting more property to tap the disease never ends lol. i got hammered on my north slope being so cold and no vac last year.

adk1
11-04-2014, 08:31 PM
Someday I will do the same

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Weather looks to be taking a turn for winter. 500'of main up started on lats hope to finish them up tomorrow. Still have to put away more wood. Dave i'll have to stop up and see the new vac system. Just made up 5/16 tubing tool no more sore hands doing fittings. Hope to brick evap next week and fire it up in the new shack crisen it with steam and a few brews:lol: Good luck to all !!!!!!

NhShaun
11-06-2014, 11:23 PM
Just made up 5/16 tubing tool no more sore hands doing fittings.Have any photos of this?

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-07-2014, 07:25 AM
I haven't took any. I googled image searched maple tubing tools and it is the vise grip and channel lock setup. Hope to build mainline hand drill next.

NhShaun
11-07-2014, 11:36 AM
I haven't took any. I googled image searched maple tubing tools and it is the vise grip and channel lock setup. Hope to build mainline hand drill next. I checked out Google, looks like there are quite a few different set ups. They all seem to take away the struggle of doing it by hand haha. If you get around to posting a picture of yours i would like to see, just for comparison.

lakeview maple
11-07-2014, 01:39 PM
I haven't took any. I googled image searched maple tubing tools and it is the vise grip and channel lock setup. Hope to build mainline hand drill next. Hey Comstock stop by some time and Ill show you the mainline drill I fabricated , it works great and was really simple to make,Al 9972

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-07-2014, 08:45 PM
Ok sounds good. That looks good also it's amazing how these tools help!!!!

maple flats
11-08-2014, 07:31 PM
We went to the bush and checked the lines for trees/limbs down. Got everything cleared. Then we ran about 800' of new main and cut a trail to run another section of woods. None of these areas have good density, might get 150-200 max, but the slopes are good to work with, between 3-5% but lots of thickets. We won't return to the woods now until after gun season is over.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Still chipping away before winter. Getting firewood done and ran some more mainline. taking advantage of warm up to work the woods, then its on to serious hunting for me!!!! take care

NhShaun
11-10-2014, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you all have been pretty darn busy and productive. Being on crutches really sucks this time of year... or any time of year actually. I am pretty limited right now, but i did manage to order my 2x6 Pan set up today! So should have those in 2 weeks! How exciting, no more boiling in stock pots!

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hear about the crutches. Sounds awesome about the pans!!! Congrats. Are you building the arch?? I bricked my evaporator tonight hope to hookup fan and fire it this weekend. Take care..

NhShaun
11-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Thank you. Unfortunately due to the accident/crutches for 6 weeks, i don't have the funds to purchase the arch that fits these pans, so i will be building a block arch for this season. As soon as this darn ankle is healed up ill be lugging blocks into the woods. And i am actually excited about that haha. Firing it up this weekend sounds exciting, good luck

SeanD
11-11-2014, 11:45 AM

I picked up a couple of 275 gallon totes today - one for the truck for collection and one as sap storage at the sugar house. It increases my holding capacity using less space and it frees up a bunch of 55 gal. barrels to go out to other locations. Unfortunately, a big property just fell through, so I'm back on the hunt for trees.

Sean

wiam
11-11-2014, 05:10 PM
99769976Picked this up today.

handtapper
11-11-2014, 05:54 PM
I picked up my new evap from maple guys two weeks ago. I'm welding a floor onto it and raising it up 2". Im going to pay a mason to brick it for me. I'm also working on the blower, larger stack through metal roof, and a steam hood. I got a new ss tank on order through mapleguys also. Still need to find a few hundred more taps. Sounds like everyone is putting it into high gear, I'm personally getting very excited for the season.

adk1
11-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Ok sounds good. That looks good also it's amazing how these tools help!!!!i picked up one of the cheap blue mainline punches at leader for ten bucks. Worked awesome

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Handtapper, that's a real nice setup. awesome feeling upgrading like that!! I've looked at those evaps and I hear there made very well from others. Good luck to you in finding taps to keep that new rig happy :lol:

Revi
11-12-2014, 08:43 AM
I had hernia surgery about a month ago, and am going crazy, but I can't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds, so that precludes almost anything at the sugarhouse.

I did some oil painting up there however with some friends, and that was fun. It gave me a chance to look at the sugarhouse, and I have a pretty cool painting of it now.

Waiting to get the go ahead from the doc and then we'll put in some more taps, but it may not be until after X-mas.

We are going to do a cruise for a new management plan over the X-mas vacation, and then we'll be getting close to maple time...

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Ran the evap for few hrs everything went great :D Now the wait is on glad I have more things to do before sap runs. New shack with coupalo works great. Feels great to have a more comfortable setup. Take care everyone.

red maples
11-14-2014, 03:57 PM
looks like a stretch of good sap weather the next few weeks. I hope we get a stretch this nice in the spring!!! Good if your a fall tapper that is.

jmayerl
11-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Strong early holiday sales continiue. Got a order for 25 qts and 60 pints all in gift boxes. Had to tap into my last drum and bottled 15 gallons last night, will need sap season to come early now.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Sales this time of near is nice. I finished up install on fan for evap hope this makes it more efficient. Everything I've read says it will,just under fire for this year. Maybe over fire for 2016. Got tank setup for north side mainline before any major snow hits us. Take care!!!

unc23win
11-20-2014, 09:03 AM
I picked up my new Lapierre Releaser from Brookfield Maple Products last night. I went with the Single Horizontal Continuous Vacuum 10,000 tap model. I'm no where near 10,000 taps, but for the money going a little bigger is not a bad deal. I also got a few 1" Ys I needed so now I am ready to put on some taps. I got the mainline and a lift installed last week anxious to get the taps installed.

COMSTOCK MAPLES
11-24-2014, 07:51 PM
Took advantage of warm weather and ran lats and drops on the new spot. Still working the inside of shack little by little. I'd like to get more firewood done before we get buried in snow :lol: The governor will warn me when thats going to be !!