PDA

View Full Version : Caulking/sealant for inside evaporator

11-Nick
11-03-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm the greatest person I know for reading something useful and thinking "I'll remember that". That usually happens immediately before I FORGET that useful piece of info.
I've read back through bunches of old threads. Somewhere I saw someone mention that they used some sort of sealant around the metal inside the evaporator. I think they welded all the angle in place, but then went along with this caulking/sealant to seal it all up to make it air tight.
I searched for 'caulking' and 'sealant', but didn't find what I was looking for. Only found references to red silicone. Can't think that would work under the angle iron that holds the pans. Not looking for something to bear the weight... just seal it up to make it air tight.
Anyone know the product?
Thanks
Nick

DoubleBrookMaple
11-03-2014, 11:09 AM
I used the red silicone for my arch to make it air tight throughout, as I planned a blower. The red silcone is rated at 500F - 650F, and would probably take quite a bit more.
There are quite a few sealants I found for all uses. Any red silicone is OK for the arch. For other uses, my favorite is Dow Corning 732, which is NSF 51, NSF 61 (drinking water) certified, Complies with FDA 177.2600, and rated up to 350F. It can be bought online for $5-6 a 10.1 oz cartridge.

I suggest you visit Fastenal, as they have a good selection of RTV, and food safe ones as well at a good price. There are several Fastenal stores in PA. https://www.fastenal.com/web/locations;jsessionid=WHwnJXvMskQT8zjJ12MglvzHcQDsM 3492GnSVqDVkhZb1WVppK06!-1945180806!1013855309

Here is a pic of my red RTV sealant in my arch. I sealed my double wall Stack at the metal roof penetration, and it held up good. I may try sealing my pans at the arch this year instead of using a gasket.

I