PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on best way to protect the wood from the stack heat

maple flats
10-31-2014, 05:57 PM
On my 2 previous set ups (my 2x6 and my original 3x8) I used a triple wall that I fabricated to protect the lumber from the heat. Now I'm trying to decide what I want to do on my new SS stack.
While the homemade 2 outer layers worked well, they were a little unsightly, being out of round and held up in a Rube Goldberg set-up.
I could get the 2 layer method made in light ga. SS and fit it around the stack much more neatly, or I could make 2 double wall flat panels, one to protect each truss and another double wall panel to protect the underside of the roof boards, or I could use ceramic insulation on those surfaces. Any other ideas, or comments on which might be better?
Dave

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Dave,

I covered all my trusses on each side of my single wall stainless 10" stack with ceramic blanket and the roof boards underneath my baked enamel roof. I have run 1500 degree stack temps for 10 to 12 hours many days without any problem and my trusses are on 2' center.

David in MI
11-06-2014, 05:55 AM
I wrapped ceramic blanket around the stack itself and secured it with the copper wire you use to hang pictures, etc. Checked the wood temp throughout our boils last year and it was warm but not hot. My clearance on one side is quite close.

lakeview maple
11-06-2014, 05:22 PM
I put dura roc on the wall behind the arch up to the ceiling then where it goes through the roof I just placed it between trusses , we cut out the truss and boxed in the roof around the stack with no problems.

bowhunter
11-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Dave, any of those approaches will work. I would probably do a combination using one pipe on the outside of the flue with a 1/2 inch to 1 inch air gap and still do some insulation of the surrounding wood. One outside pipe with a nice air gap will provide an excellent heat shield and protect the wood from a lot of radiation.