PDA

View Full Version : Stack Cap

wnybassman
10-26-2014, 01:38 PM
I know it's probably best to have one of those flip over style caps, or no cap at all and place a bucket or similar up the when not in use, but I'll likely use a regular style cap of some sort.

Are there any recommendations for a good style to look for, or a good style to stay away from? I have a 7" i.d. double wall stack.

unc23win
10-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Mine is one that opens when you pull a rope and closes when you pull the other rope. I bought mine from Lapierre for a 15" stack. I have my rope run through a couple of pulleys and it comes down on the back wall behind the evaporator. It works very well. I know some people have made them its not a very complex design, but I didn't want to mess around so I bought it. Its a one time purchase sort of a thing and of course its stainless. I know someone posted pictures of one the made once.

Loch Muller
10-26-2014, 04:09 PM
I use a Sheetrock mud bucket and just leave it off until the season is over. I had a chimney cap made for wood stoves at one point but it seemed to restrict draft and push the hot air, smoke and sparks back toward my cupola. I'll do that for at least one more year and spend the $70 saved on tubing or one of those shurflo pumps people are using as a sap sucker.

adk1
10-27-2014, 08:02 PM
I would DEFINATELY not use anything that would restrict the draft

sugarwoodacres
10-30-2014, 07:50 PM
No cap gets a better draft and equals more boil

Mark-NH
10-31-2014, 02:53 PM
After climbing on and off my roof for the last 20 years to put up and take down the stack I finally upgraded to stainless with a stainless lid. No more reason for me to go up on that metal roof, with snow or leaves on it. I'm not getting any younger and those falls off the roof, even if landing in snow are not as much fun as they used to be.

wnybassman
10-31-2014, 09:21 PM
I am now leaning towards a flip over cap, and probably building my own. Already looking for a stainless pie plate or cake pan that fits over my stack. :)

TonyL
10-31-2014, 09:36 PM
I built my own. It's spring loaded to return to the 'closed' position, and I use a rope with a cleat to open and secure it when in use. Works great.

wnybassman
10-31-2014, 10:02 PM
I built my own. It's spring loaded to return to the 'closed' position, and I use a rope with a cleat to open and secure it when in use. Works great.

Would love to see a picture or two if you have any.

wnybassman
11-04-2014, 08:26 PM
Is it appropriate to cut above some of the slots to make a stack fit better on a roof jack like this? I am not sure my stack will fit at all without mangling it if I don't.

http://s2.img-b.com/ventingpipe.com/imagebase/resized/220x220/metalbestimages/metalbest_7taf12_galvanized.jpg

adk1
11-04-2014, 08:28 PM
That is similar to what I used. Mine had a silicone gasket on it. I also added a stack color over it