PDA

View Full Version : Surge SP-11 Vacuum pump with 6 HP gas motor

jrmaple
10-25-2014, 02:19 PM
Hi all, today at an auction I bought a Surge SP-11, appears to be in really good shape, fresh coat of paint just put on it and was used this last season. I didn't get to talk to the previous owner directly so I had a few questions, how many taps can this pump handle? How many CFM's does it put out and what can I expect for a pull, (how many inches can I get)? And what to do for an oil reclaimer? If you guys have one of these pumps, please share any info about them and also post pictures of what you have for a reclaimer… Any info would be great! Thanks.

wiam
10-25-2014, 07:10 PM
If you have oil much oil coming out the exhaust on a piston pump it needs rebuilding. On my sp-22 I would change oil half way through season and it would not be down 1/2 pint. It would pull 25" on 900 but it is a bigger pump than the 11

BreezyHill
10-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Correct, if the oil is being exhausted out there is an issue that needs addressing immediately. Occasionally it is jumped or not correctly timed,but usually rings.

I had the original model that the SP - 11 replaced and it ran around 500 taps and one ladder at 24-26" consistently. They do work better with a balance tank added and best with an electric releaser system.

New paint is cheap, don't let that fool ya. As long as she is not knocking then you should be fine.

6Hp is a big motor for her, she would have had a 1 hp electric motor. If you need pulley sizes I can dig out the manual.

Good vac oil is very important in these units. There is a rotating valve system in the top that relies on oil being lifted with the pistons for lubrication. Cheap oil or motor oil does not cut it in these units.

A good moisture trap is vidal to the life of these pumps. Sap will kill them fairly quickly if it gets in the oil and is not removed. We always checked the drain plug for condensation twice a day and checked oil level every time she would be started up.

Good Luck!
Great find!

unc23win
10-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Mine will pull 25" on 500 taps easy a very nice pump easy on oil. I use delaval oil from TSC. Mine has a clear sight tube I just check it once a day and add as needed. some days it will get pretty hot to touch in the afternoon so I just open my shed door. I have had it on a double mechanical releaser for 2 seasons no problems. It was a barn find the only problem is that the balance tank is rusted out, but it works fine without it.

jrmaple
10-26-2014, 12:30 AM
I know 6 hp is a little big, but I don't plan on running it on high and I'm sure the previous owner didn't either to get more out of the gas tank and not to burn the pump up... I'm curious what the level of oil should be. I have the clear pipe as well for oil level... How much oil do you guys normally keep in your pumps? Thanks.

wiam
10-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Mine has a short piece of pipe on the outside of the clear part. I was told to keep it at the top of that.

jrmaple
10-26-2014, 02:54 PM
As for storage of the pump, in the off season should I drain it and clean it or are the pretty bullet prove, where as long as they have oil in them they are fine? And when I am using the pump, should I have it enclosed in a small shed or can I just make a 4'x4' A frame with open sides so it is protected from rain and snow but still has natural cooling. Thanks for the input.

10-26-2014, 04:05 PM
If there is a way to spray some oil or something in the cylinder to just help prevent condensation from rusting up the cylinder walls kind of like storing an engine for extened periods of time.

BreezyHill
10-26-2014, 05:38 PM
As for storage of the pump, in the off season should I drain it and clean it or are the pretty bullet prove, where as long as they have oil in them they are fine? And when I am using the pump, should I have it enclosed in a small shed or can I just make a 4'x4' A frame with open sides so it is protected from rain and snow but still has natural cooling.

Drain off any water that is at the drain plug and refill to max oil level. You could put a small amount of vac oil into the inlet of the pump and spin it by hand to totally coat the cylinders.

The worst thing is to leave moisture in the unit with no oil. The oil will sit on top of the water and not allow it to rise and rust the parts. An Empty unit will rust from any residual moisture or condensation.

BreezyHill
10-26-2014, 05:46 PM
when I am using the pump, should I have it enclosed in a small shed or can I just make a 4'x4' A frame with open sides so it is protected from rain and snow but still has natural cooling.

The A frame sounds good. I would have it so you can enclose the ends also as you will not want to have to be moving the unit when there are several days and often storms between runs. Sides on a hinge that can be propped open and their weight will keep the closed will work fine. You could even tie them to each other to keep open.

Be certain to place steel wool in the inlet and exhaust ports when it is stored. You would not believe how many times I have found nuts and even dead mice in pumps. Nothing worse than a dead mouse that got squished in a rotary vane pump.