PDA

View Full Version : preheating pan question

11-Nick
10-25-2014, 12:20 PM
In pictures, I've seen preheating pans that set across the top of the sap pan (usually on continuous flow sap pan). Doesn't that preheating pan collect/drip condensation back into the sap pan? Doesn't make sense to me as I look at it, but maybe it doesn't collect condensation?? Just wondering.
Thanks
Nick

psparr
10-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Thanks for stopping out today. As far as the preheater. They are usually tilted to one side or the back to allow the condensate to collect on the edge and drip away from the pan.

11-Nick
10-25-2014, 05:08 PM
No...thank you for letting me come. I'll probably be contacting you fairly often since you are so close. Also...tell your cousin again what a fine job he did cutting wood while we talked. Lol.

wiam
10-25-2014, 07:03 PM
There is usually a pan under the tubes with a drain

11-Nick
10-25-2014, 10:02 PM
Not talking about a pre heater in a hood. I meant a whole other pan that sits on top of sap pan and slowly drains pre heated sap into sap pan below

11-Nick
10-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Is it called a piggy back pan? I just saw that term in another thread. I wondered if it collected/dripped condensation back into the sap pan.

mellondome
10-26-2014, 12:13 AM
A piggy back is a preheater similar to a steam a way. I think you are talking about the small preheat pans that sit on the back top of small flat pan evaporators. They will drip some back into the pan if they are not pitched slightly.

Maple Hill
10-26-2014, 06:30 AM
Not talking about a pre heater in a hood. I meant a whole other pan that sits on top of sap pan and slowly drains pre heated sap into sap pan below

Sounds like you are talking about a Leader style pan that has a pan on top of the front of the back pan where the float is located.