PDA

View Full Version : separating channels after shut down

11-Nick
10-15-2014, 10:03 AM
how do you separate channels after shut down so you keep the gradient? How do you plug the holes?

CharlieVT
10-15-2014, 10:49 AM
how do you separate channels after shut down so you keep the gradient? How do you plug the holes?

1) prop a scoop to block the cut out in the partition feeding the syrup pan.
or
2) draw off a pail or two of sweet and put it back in when starting the next boil.

On my 4x10 with four sections in the syrup pan, I usually draw off two pails at shut down. Keep track of 'em, as the first pail is sweeter than than the second. After getting things starting to boil next time I slowly and the first (sweetest) pail to the draw off partition, and the second pail to the second to last partition.

The booklet "Boiling 101": recommends for a 2 foot wide evaporator draw off 1- 1 1/2 gallons of sweet.
For a 3 ft evaporator draw 2-2 1/2 gallons
For a 4 ft evaporator draw 3 1/2 to5 gallons

At start up bring the pan to a light boil and then add the sweet back into the syrup compartment.

psparr
10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
1) prop a scoop to block the cut out in the partition feeding the syrup pan.
or
2) draw off a pail or two of sweet and put it back in when starting the next boil.

On my 4x10 with four sections in the syrup pan, I usually draw off two pails at shut down. Keep track of 'em, as the first pail is sweeter than than the second. After getting things starting to boil next time I slowly and the first (sweetest) pail to the draw off partition, and the second pail to the second to last partition.

The booklet "Boiling 101": recommends for a 2 foot wide evaporator draw off 1- 1 1/2 gallons of sweet.
For a 3 ft evaporator draw 2-2 1/2 gallons
For a 4 ft evaporator draw 3 1/2 to5 gallons

At start up bring the pan to a light boil and then add the sweet back into the syrup compartment.
Ditto. But unless you have more trees it will be hard to even establish a gradient.