PDA

View Full Version : Value of timber on extremely steep ground

Drew Pond Maple
10-14-2014, 07:21 PM
If I was to hire a logger to harvest the hemlock and white pine on my property, and most of it is very steep ground, will the value of the logs diminish. Some areas would be tough to reach with machines, cables maybe??
I have some decent trees on flatter land but most is steep.
I want to release the maples I have, but don't want a break even deal or have the bark skunned up on the remaining maples.
This is a 100 acre parcel and been logged in1999. They did not cut any trees on these steep areas.
If there is no money in the logs then I would probably just cut them and leave 'em

tuckermtn
10-15-2014, 08:00 PM
yes steep ground is one of the real limitations to timber harvesting activity. Typically it is referred to as "logging chance". Having said that, there are harvesting techniques that do allow harvesting on steep slopes.
So it may not be as valuable as if it were on flat ground, but it still may be commercially viable.
Have you had anyone take a look at it yet? If you need some contacts, let me know.

adk1
10-15-2014, 08:51 PM
If they were black cherry they would use a helicopter

BAP
10-16-2014, 11:26 AM
How long of a hill is it? We used to cut on steep hills using and extra cable to extend the reach of the winch cable on our skidder or our dozer. We would work from the top and bottom and could get most of it. Finding a smaller logging outfit might be your best bet. Somebody that uses chainsaw and winch logging versus a fellerbuncher and grapple skidder. It takes longer and costs more, but if there is good timber on it, it can be worth while.

Drew Pond Maple
10-16-2014, 03:38 PM
yes steep ground is one of the real limitations to timber harvesting activity. Typically it is referred to as "logging chance". Having said that, there are harvesting techniques that do allow harvesting on steep slopes.
So it may not be as valuable as if it were on flat ground, but it still may be commercially viable.
Have you had anyone take a look at it yet? If you need some contacts, let me know.Eric, no I have not had anyone look at it yet. If you could PM me with someone that you'd trust that would be great.

Also what is a logging chance? And what harvesting techniques are used?
One other thing, this piece is not all big trees, just the steeper areas. That was why I thought the value would go down becaus thats what they would be cutting, not the entire thing

Thanks

Drew Pond Maple
10-16-2014, 03:51 PM
How long of a hill is it? We used to cut on steep hills using and extra cable to extend the reach of the winch cable on our skidder or our dozer. We would work from the top and bottom and could get most of it. Finding a smaller logging outfit might be your best bet. Somebody that uses chainsaw and winch logging versus a fellerbuncher and grapple skidder. It takes longer and costs more, but if there is good timber on it, it can be worth while.
BAP, the hills are a couple hundred feet long but due to boundaries and a pond/streams some areas could be tough to reach. Now I don't know the full capabilities of some of these skidders, so maybe they're reachable.

As far as the winch vs feller buncher method, I've read on here from older posts to go with cable and chainsaw cuz the grapple will drag whole trees through the woods, scraping bark the entire way. So my mind is made up there. Thats to bad for the chips they would make cuz im only 1 mile from a bio mass plant.

maple flats
10-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Are there maples mixed in with the hemlock and white pine? Most loggers who will cut steep slopes can control quite well where the trees fall. Have a forester mark the site and don't use a forester who works for the logger or mill. Then have the forester write a bid specs and contract. Even if you get very little, opening the area for the maples is well worth it.

Drew Pond Maple
10-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Are there maples mixed in with the hemlock and white pine? Even if you get very little, opening the area for the maples is well worth it.

Yes there are young maples under the canopy, most of which are reds. Some other areas have some sugars.
I want to release them but feel it's way too much for one person (myself) to carry out.
Like you said Dave just opening it up for the maples to grow is well worth it

bees1st
10-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Sounds like you need a bunch of fellas , not a fellerbuncher!

Drew Pond Maple
10-17-2014, 10:27 PM
Sounds like you need a bunch of fellas , not a fellerbuncher!

Awesome, very creative. But your 100% right

spud
10-18-2014, 07:17 AM
If I was to hire a logger to harvest the hemlock and white pine on my property, and most of it is very steep ground, will the value of the logs diminish. Some areas would be tough to reach with machines, cables maybe??
I have some decent trees on flatter land but most is steep.
I want to release the maples I have, but don't want a break even deal or have the bark skunned up on the remaining maples.
This is a 100 acre parcel and been logged in1999. They did not cut any trees on these steep areas.
If there is no money in the logs then I would probably just cut them and leave 'em

I have a simular situation on one of my lots. I have had 3 loggers walk my property in the last year. I am finding that there is little to no money to be made by the land owner. Hemlock pays very little so having it on a steep slope will pay even less. I am not sure how many maples are in you're hemlock stand but it might not be worth it. Hemlocks attract deer and that is something you might want to keep in mind (if you're a hunter). It's also safe to say that what maples you do have may be scarred by the loggers. A break even deal could be the best you do. Sometimes trees are better off left alone.

Spud

BAP
10-21-2014, 11:42 AM
Check out these 2 sites. The first one has prices being paid for sawlogs. May not represent what you would actually get, but gives you and idea. The second one is for the
New Hampshire Timberland Association which has some good information and also links to look for certified Foresters and Loggers.
http://northeasttimberexchange.com/?page_id=4

http://www.nhtoa.org/index.html

tuckermtn
10-21-2014, 07:14 PM
small world - I work for NHTOA and one of my responsibilities is every quarter I survey loggers, landowners, and foresters asking for delivered sawlog pricing and stumpage pricing. Lots of variation between jobs, woodlots, access, etc...but if folks need numbers, I got 'em...