PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Bulk Maple Syrup Prices

OrangeAgain
10-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Have the 2015 bulk Maple syrup prices been published? If yes, what / where are they?

Who publishes them?

Thompson's Tree Farm
10-14-2014, 07:31 PM
They will be established by the big buyers after the season when they know how big the crop is. My guess is that prices will slip some as our dollar has strengthened against the Canadian dollar.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
10-14-2014, 08:05 PM
With as fast as producers are expanding, I would expect prices to continue to slip if production is normal or above normal the next few years.

OrangeAgain
10-15-2014, 05:19 AM
They will be established by the big buyers after the season when they know how big the crop is. My guess is that prices will slip some as our dollar has strengthened against the Canadian dollar.

For those sugar makers who sell bulk syrup, at what price would they sell 2015 production if the bulk price isn't set until after the season?

spud
10-15-2014, 07:49 AM
I think $3.25Lb is fair. Has anyone else noticed that the price of syrup sold in stores (by the big packers) continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup goes down. The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down. If a new packer opened up shop tomorrow and bought bulk syrup for $4.00Lb all the other packer would do the same. There are several very large producers in northern Vermont that are looking to not sell to any packers. They are currently seeking their own market. Some of this market is overseas but alot is here in the USA.

Spud

GeneralStark
10-15-2014, 08:17 AM
I think $3.25Lb is fair. Has anyone else noticed that the price of syrup sold in stores (by the big packers) continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup goes down. The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down. If a new packer opened up shop tomorrow and bought bulk syrup for $4.00Lb all the other packer would do the same. There are several very large producers in northern Vermont that are looking to not sell to any packers. They are currently seeking their own market. Some of this market is overseas but alot is here in the USA.

Spud

This is likely to go down a different path than the OP intended, so perhaps Finally Green could let us know exactly what he is getting at with the question. If you want to know the bulk price of syrup for 2015 it would probably be safe to plan for a little lower than 2014. Not saying it will go that way but if you are trying to do some financial predictions, that is probably a safe way to go.

Here is the thread for 2014 prices for what some packers have been paying: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?23288-Bulk-Price-per-Pound

With the bulk price being set by Quebec, of course smart producers are going to look for their own markets when they see the retail price of syrup. But, the price at the store is not indicative of what a packer is charging for their wholesale product.

OrangeAgain
10-15-2014, 08:28 AM
This is likely to go down a different path than the OP intended, so perhaps FinallyGreen could let us know exactly what he is getting at with the question.

I am thinking I want to lease our taps at some price per tap which is tied to the bulk price of syrup so that each year the tap price will get adjusted depending upon the bulk price of syrup. This way, the tap lessee pays something less if the price of bulk syrup goes down and I get a bit more when the price goes up.

unc23win
10-15-2014, 08:40 AM
I am thinking I want to lease our taps at some price per tap which is tied to the bulk price of syrup so that each year the tap price will get adjusted depending upon the bulk price of syrup. This way, the tap lessee pays something less if the price of bulk syrup goes down and I get a bit more when the price goes up.

That's an interesting idea. Does your lessee tell you how much sap they get? How much syrup they get and what grade it is? I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were leasing I wouldn't especially in the first few years if I bought the supplies. One of the draws to leasing is knowing the cost upfront and paying upfront per tap and the land lord gets paid upfront as well. Now if you have all the lines run then I guess the lease price changes, but I wouldn't want to pay you more based on syrup prices at the end of the season. Just my opinion.

GeneralStark
10-15-2014, 08:44 AM

Not sure if you have seen these resources, but this could be a good place to start:

http://maple.dnr.cornell.edu/SapBuying2010_files/ShouldYouBuySap.pdf

It is more applicable to sap buyers probably but he also discusses setting prices based on bulk syrup pricing.

DaveB
11-04-2014, 12:02 PM
With the bulk price being set by Quebec, of course smart producers are going to look for their own markets when they see the retail price of syrup. But, the price at the store is not indicative of what a packer is charging for their wholesale product.

I've actually been surprised at some of the wholesale products and how expensive they are. There really is a markup at most stores.

That being said, just because you CAN get higher price doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I hear from people all the time that they love real maple syrup but can't afford it. It doesn't help that some touristy places sell for over $100 a gallon. I'm of the mindset that I like to keep my prices reasonable so that more consumers can afford it and I still make a fair profit. What I lose on the price I gain on volume.

DrTimPerkins
11-04-2014, 12:48 PM
The price of sugaring supplies continues to go up but the price of bulk syrup is going down.

Actually, the bulk price as set by the Federation hasn't gone down. What has changed over the past few years is the Canadian to U.S. currency exchange rate.

The top line (blue) in the figure below is the Federation price. The middle line (red) is the U.S. syrup price based upon the Federation price with the U.S. exchange factored in (exchange rate is shown by the green line). Basically, because of the exchange rate, U.S. producers had to sell their syrup at $1.50/lb (in U.S. $) in 2001 to compete with Canadian syrup at $2.40/lb (Canadian $).

The shortage of syrup in 2008, the parity in the currency from about 2007 onward, and the increased use of technology (vacuum and better spout/tubing sanitation) that resulted in higher yields have fueled tremendous growth in the U.S. industry. We are currently seeing a slight softening of the Canadian currency relative to the strong U.S. dollar (Canadian $ is worth $0.88 U.S. today). If you can predict where it'll go from here, then you're better off on Wall Street than making syrup.

GeneralStark
11-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I've actually been surprised at some of the wholesale products and how expensive they are. There really is a markup at most stores.

That being said, just because you CAN get higher price doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I hear from people all the time that they love real maple syrup but can't afford it. It doesn't help that some touristy places sell for over $100 a gallon. I'm of the mindset that I like to keep my prices reasonable so that more consumers can afford it and I still make a fair profit. What I lose on the price I gain on volume.

I totally agree with this. There can be a significant markup in many cases. I have an account with the local food co-op for maple sugar and they mark it up quite a bit, but it still sells well.

My goal with increasing my operation's production is to be able to sell gallons and half gallons cheaper so that local people that really like syrup can easily afford it. Because most of my sales are value added products, I feel that I can "subsidize" the sale of larger quantities of syrup. Only issue is at the farmer's market I do there are a few other folks selling syrup and their prices are higher. One producer in particular often suggests I should raise my prices as the tourists will pay more, but I prefer to keep my prices reasonable.

DonMcJr
03-23-2015, 05:00 PM
What about prices for us little guys... say 8 oz glass bottles and 12 oz glass bottles...

Hannah
03-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Good question, I was wondering the same. A coworker wants to buy a couple 12oz bottles off me but I have no idea what charge. Told him .95cents a bottle (cover cost of bottle) but he wouldn't go for it. I guess the two of us are in the same boat, no idea what its worth and to afraid to offend each other...

tuckermtn
03-23-2015, 09:12 PM
I think you are asking about wholesale prices. Bulk is for containers of 5+ gallons, but typically 30+ gallon barrels.

WestfordSugarworks
03-23-2015, 09:36 PM
Where I live the going rate for a gallon is around 48. We are selling our glass 12 oz Jugs for 7 dollars. We could probably go higher. Glass should fetch more because the bottles are more expensive and the smaller the size, the higher the unit price. Maybe you could try to set your price based on the going rate for a gallon in your area.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-24-2015, 05:01 AM
I heard Highland is around 2.30LB right now and possibly not accepting any B

sapmaple
03-24-2015, 07:35 AM
They will be buying under the new grading system witch includes the Old Grade B as part of Dark Robust so they will be accepting table grade syrup but not the off flavor stuff (processing grade) according to there latest letter

Walling's Maple Syrup
03-24-2015, 08:54 AM
$2.45/lb plus .03 if delivered for the top 3 grades right now. Brought 7 barrels of the first stuff we made last week.
Neil

unc23win
03-24-2015, 09:00 AM
That's what I heard over the weekend Neil $2.45 thanks for confirming.

tuckermtn
03-24-2015, 07:35 PM
i have heard 2.40 lb for top 3 grades.

wdchuck
03-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Goodrich's is at 2.35 for the top 3.

GeneralStark
03-25-2015, 07:55 AM
Goodrich's is at 2.35 for the top 3.

Where was he at last year?