PDA

View Full Version : rent a sugerhouse

fred
01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
WHAT IS A FAIR WAY TO RENT A SUGERHOUSE THAT IS NOT USED, BUT HAS ALL THE EQUIPTMENT IN IT.I PAY FOR FUEL, ELECTRIC AND LABOR AND THEY HAVE THE EVAPORATOR, GATHERING TANKS AND A TRACTOR, BUCKETS

Fred Henderson
01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
This is a good topic that you have started and it will be interesting to watch it. I have no clue.

fred
01-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I THOUGHT 25% OF THE SYRUP AND .30 PER TAP FOR THE TREES.THEY HAVE ABOUT 500 AND I WILL BRING SAP IN FROM OTHER PLACES

Fred Henderson
01-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Around here its .40 per tap on a vac system.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-14-2007, 08:37 PM
I would think that would be a very fair price. Don't start too high as you can always go up if the offer is refused.

HanginAround
01-15-2007, 12:10 AM
I know of one where it was just per tap, but I don't see why any combo wouldn't work, syrup, per tap, flat rate, as long as the terms were clear. Hard to know the right price for any of the above though till a few yrs went by and each party decides what's worthwile.

Pete33Vt
01-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Its funny that this topic came up. That is exactually what I am doing this year. I am renting the sugarhouse, bush, rig, and everything that goes with it. It has electicity, vacum setup, and all the spouts , tees, and line for repairs. The deal we agreed upon was a 60-40 split. Of course 60 for me. The original bush is only about 400-500 taps. I am bringing in around 700-900 taps that I have picked up. We have an agreement to go for three years then see how things stack up. The few people I have talked to (a few from here) seemed to think that was a fair deal. Of course I know this sugaring opperation and have been involved with it for a few years. Last year they made around 100 gals or so of syrup. I am hoping to at least double it with the amount of taps I will have. So I will let you know the end results in about May!!

Good luck
Pete

802maple
01-15-2007, 08:22 AM
I first started this way also. The only thing that I didn't do which I wish i had done was that state that the 25% of syrup that i gave for the lease was comparative to what i made per grade instead of just 25% of the syrup. My market then was mostly for fancy and the owner took all fancy for his share which left me buying fancy to supply my customers before the year was over, but I still had plenty of syrup in the rest of grades.

brookledge
01-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Pete
What agreement do you have if something like burning the pans for instance? Just wondering because things like that may arise. Even if the pan warps alittle it may still be a good pan but the owner may want the pan replaced.
The reason I ask is that I had someone who wanted to bring in their sap and boil when I wasn't (not alot of sap so wouldn't take alot of time) and I said no. He would even have supplied his own wood. But I said no because if something went wrong while he was there it would cause problems for me.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2007, 12:52 PM
Keith,

If I had a rig like that, I definitely wouldn't let someone use it. :)

brookledge
01-15-2007, 01:01 PM
Brandon
This was a few years before I got my present one but it still made me nervous about letting someone use my setup. the same thing goes for my rig now, I operate it and nobody else. If I @#$% it up then I can't be mad at anyone but my self. I carry liability insurance but don't have insurance on the rig. Ask me to borrow my truck and I say no problem becuase it has insurance.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Keith,

I have insurance on mine, but I only let 2 other people run it and that is because they help me and one is my dad. I wouldn't let others borrow it other than Larry Harris. :?

Pete33Vt
01-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Brookledge, The agreement I have with the owner. Is that if the pans are ruined I replace them. Its a gentelmans agreement. ( I know I should have something in writing and insurance, but finances are really tight.)
I have worked with and been friends with the owners for awhile now, and will have no problem. Also I have boiled on this rig for a few years, and the owner knows I can handle it. As far as someone else coming in I would also say no.
The 60/40 split I mentioned is for the money made after selling the syrup.So I have the option of where to sell my syrup and what I set for a price.

I'll keep you posted.
Pete

brookledge
01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
Pete
The post just brought back memories of my situation where I said no to someone who I knew who wanted to use my setup.
I hope you have a good season.
Keith