PDA

View Full Version : Smoke stack above and close to Cupola

beltechc
10-08-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey. We are getting ready to add a cupola to our shack. Reading through various threads its sounds like the best location for a cupola is directly above the evaporator pans. That also puts it very close to the smoke stack since it is very close to the evaporator pan. So my questions are -

1. How high above the top of the cupola should the stack go?

2. Is everyone's stack close to their cupola. Like 6"-8" away? Or am I better off skipping one set of rafters with the cupola and having it away from the stack but offset from the pans 24"

unc23win
10-08-2014, 01:19 PM
Rule of thumb is that your stack be at least 1 and 1/2 times the length of your evaporator. If your evaporator is 8' long your stack would be 12'. You want it to clear the cupola by at least a couple of feet in most cases the added height will help keep the heat where you need it.

Do you have any hoods?

wishlist
10-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Another consideration is are you using Class A pipe? This will allow 2" or in some cases 0" clearance to combustibles depending on brand of pipe.

beltechc
10-15-2014, 10:31 AM
I think I am good with the height of the stack but am wondering are most smoke stacks close to the cupola. If so how far away?

MapleMark753
10-15-2014, 11:22 AM
Take a look through the photo galleries here, sometimes pictures are worth the proverbial thousand words. Also some good ones at the other site (sugarbush.info). Although some are away from the cupola, probably most look to be "right there" near the cupola. take care, Mark

MISugarDaddy
10-15-2014, 12:50 PM
My stack is less than a foot from the cupola roof edge, but I used double wall stainless chimney flue to avoid any problems from the heat.

adk1
10-15-2014, 08:52 PM
By single wall stack is about a 2 feet above the top of my cupola and aboit 2 feet behind it. No issues

Tim in NY
10-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Code for the height of the chimney top is that it needs to be 3' higher than anything within 10'. At least that is for a house. Just had a new chimney installed for the woodstove and that's what the guys told me.

Tim

Maple Ridge
10-22-2014, 02:45 PM
My stack is close to the coupla also. The first couple of years the smoke would come into the coupla during a down draft. I added another length of pipe and problem solved. I don't have any issue with heat where it penetrates the roof.

heus
10-23-2014, 03:20 PM
My stack is pretty close to the cupola, maybe 4-6". I designed a heat shield on the wall of the cupola out of metal roofing. I also wrapped my stack with ceramic fiber exhaust wrap. Its used on motorcycles. Has worked fine for a couple of seasons so far.

sugarwoodacres
03-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Has anyone ever run the stack up through cupola or would condensation hit it?