PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Ideas/Feedback in Converting This Woodstove

beetman
09-29-2014, 12:27 PM
I have an extra woodstove and would like some guidance in converting it into an evaporator. I am using a propane burner and kettle now (1.5-2 gph) so would like to maintain that rate or improve it.

The stove is a rather unique steel box stove, that is top load *only*, as you can see in the pictures. Not the most efficient or pretty stove, so I have no qualms hacking it up. My idea was to do the following: Cut the top off, or cut rectangular openings to accept 1 or 2 SS steam pans, depending on what sizes I can find. Then cut a whole in the side, make a door out of plate and add a simple damper.

Some thoughts I have had to improve the performance of this concept:

-Move the flue from the back to the side opposite the door. Would this help?

-Weld in an elevated screen to build the fire on. Should aid clean up.

-I have a blower (from another stove) that I would like to use, ideally would tie this in with the elevated burn screen.

-Using firebrick, build up the interior to insure flames travel close to the pan(s) for as long as possible.

Any input or alternate ideas would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to shares pics of other stove setups as well.

Thanks,

Cameron

sap seeker
09-29-2014, 01:16 PM
Welcome. There are many on here that know a lot more than me but yes, it would work and increase the rate from what you are getting now with your other setup. I tried something similar years ago by cutting up an old Ashley, it "worked" but barely. In all honesty, you are further ahead of the game to mount two steam pans on a 55 gal, drum vs. cutting up the stove from my experience. If you decide to cut up the stove still, put a door in one of the short walls and then add an elbow inside of the stove that points to the opposite short wall, that will keep the fire under the pan longer and you wont have to move your exit. (in addition to the other changes you mentioned) Good luck, playing around with an idea is part of the fun!

BreezyHill
09-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Cameron,
While I admire your recycling nature in converting this stove; I think you would be further ahead if your were to look at building an arch to accommodate the size pans you can locate. The time and supplies spent remodeling this unit would be better spent building from other materials you can recycle into a design that is closer to a commercial arch style.

I would suggest a visit to your local scrap yard. Our traucks are weight at one when we get corn for our feed mill. Last time I saw an old readiator like what is in my house and thought what a simple way to design an ash grate with air under fire ability. Use a torch to cut in the air outlets, and the ash could fall between the sections of the radiator. I would suggest a piece of plat steel to narrow the space if the one you find is to large and hot coals would drop thru.

There was an old pellet stove with a glass door...what a perfect fill door for an arch.

Take a look and see what you have...I found a lot of great things at scrape yards over the years. The two I have worked with were happy to sell it for a couple pennies over what they paid for it. Not much invested there...if the idea fails you still got the scrape to go back.

What ever you do don't go looking for a specific item...let the pile steer your mind.

Also gt to know your local steel fabricator. Their scrap or odds & ends pile is a great resource. Many times you will find just what you need and pay less than scrape price. 1x3" C channel makes a great ash grate as does angle iron placed with a tiny slit between the sections for air to rise and ash to fall.

If building from scratch look at Air over Fire AOF as an air source from a high pressure fan. That is my next project for the fire box of my 2x6 evap. Hotter fire with better efficiency of wood.

Hope this helps!

Ben

psparr
09-29-2014, 03:27 PM
I would agree with others about saving your efforts. However it's fun to play around with ideas.
I would suggest building a block arch for this year. Real easy and cheap to make. Nothing pretty, just some dry stacked block or brick. Whatever's free on craigslist. The problem with the woodstove is you'll probably outgrow it by next year.

The stove seems like good bones for the front of a future 2x6 or so arch. Cut out a feed door in the front and weld some cheap 3" door hinges to it and you've got a door. Remove the top and notch the back down a few inches. That would be your firebox, then you could build the back of the arch out if angle.

Remember your going to average 1gal per hr. Per sq.ft. of pan area regardless of design. Maybe a little better than that, but not much.

Good luck!