PDA

View Full Version : First Timer question - very small scale

jmello6085
09-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Any advice as to whether this would work as an evaporator pan? I can't afford an expensive one and I will only be tapping 5-10 trees this spring. Was going to buy 2 of these and boil over my outdoor fire pit.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-super-pan-v-30062-full-size-stainless-steel-anti-jam-steam-table-hotel-pan-6-deep/92230062.html

buck3m
09-29-2014, 11:39 AM
and you should be able to keep up with a good fire.

Have fun!

Cabin
09-29-2014, 11:41 AM
They will work. Sometimes you can get a good price on used pans, I got 10 assorted pans/steam trays for $75 some were brand new one had a leak.

BreezyHill
09-29-2014, 11:45 AM
Check out ebay...I got several for my oldest sons graduation party and didn't pay over $10 each and most came with lids.

Ben

psparr
09-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Just keep in mind growth. Your getting bigger next year wether you realize it now or not. You've got the bug!

morningstarfarm
09-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Ok here we go...welcome to the dark side...
Yes those will work fine...would suggest building a block arch to fit them though...
Now before you go spend $70.00 plus shipping here is exactly what is going to happen...

You are going to tap your 10 trees and everything is going to be happy...
By your second fire your neighbor is going to show up and ask what is going on...
By the third fire he is telling you he has 20 trees in his yard you can tap...
Next your other neighbor is going to show up to check what is going on and he is going to bring beer...
He will have more trees he wants you to tap...
Now you need a bigger set of pans...and the spiral has begun leading to an evaporator then a sugar house...
But mark my words...by half way through your first season you will have outgrown those pans...
You will be better off going to your local welder and having him make you a 2x3' steel pan....
Should cost you less than $100...
Still use a cement block arch...cheap and they work fine...

This is the story of how we got started 9 years ago...we now have almost 6000 taps...
And we still boil in the original 2x3 steel pan we had made in the beginning for our maple weekends and at my kids school every year...

lakeview maple
09-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Morning star farm You hit the nail on the head,lol it is an addiction and a great one , awesome past time and a great thing to share with the family, welcome to the land of expansion.Al

Ausable
09-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Any advice as to whether this would work as an evaporator pan? I can't afford an expensive one and I will only be tapping 5-10 trees this spring. Was going to buy 2 of these and boil over my outdoor fire pit.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-super-pan-v-30062-full-size-stainless-steel-anti-jam-steam-table-hotel-pan-6-deep/92230062.html

They work just fine. I am a hobby producer and now have a small 2'x5' continuous flow evaporator. But - I still finish my maple syrup in a restaurant pan over an old turkey fryer burner. It is hard not to grow - like it or not. Although I only tap 55 trees of my own. My Kids and Grandkids haul up sap for me to boil ---- made 18 gallons this past season - a lot for me. But - I still use a restaurant pan to finish my syrup on. So - in my case - restaurant pans come in handy. ---Mike---

rayi
09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
The pans are a good start. I have a 2 by6 and use a restaurant pan filled with water on a Turkey fryer. Inside the first pan is a second pan that has a steam pan type holy thing. Flat filter fits on this and can be covered. So when you out grow the pans for boiling you can still use them

Cabin
09-30-2014, 04:58 PM
The pans are a good start. I have a 2 by6 and use a restaurant pan filled with water on a Turkey fryer. Inside the first pan is a second pan that has a steam pan type holy thing. Flat filter fits on this and can be covered. So when you out grow the pans for boiling you can still use them

I use the steam trays for filtering as well. I take all the racks out of the oven and place the pans in at 180 degrees(convection oven no bottom burner).

red maples
10-01-2014, 08:39 AM
5 to 10 taps you can do that or just get a bigger sized turkey fryer or buy the bayou burner base its cheap money and a big pot to put on it. If you have a restaurant supply store somewhere in the vicinity you can buy big aluminum or steel roasting pans that are twice the size of a hotel pan or get several used hot pans and you can ladle the syrup from pan to pan. put up some blocks and you are good to go. I bought a smaller old pot too drilled a VERY small hole in the bottom put a board across the top and heated the sap in a pot on my LOTS of ideas.

But like morning star said you will go bigger!!!!!!!!!!!! I went from 13 trees to 25 trees my first season standing in the mud with beers cooling in the snow bank. then to 225 my second season with a 2x6 and sugarhouse. nice and dry with beers cooling in a bucket of snow. I am now at 600 +- taps with stainless tanks 300GPH RO. electricity, vacuum pumps tubing releasers etc. With beers cooling in the fridge!!! and it goes on and on and on!!! SO be ready for a good ride and be prepared to open you wallet a "little" insert evil laugh here!!! but you can sell it too this will convince your wife that you need to spend $20Kfor an evaporate and sugarhouse etc etc etc. I think I am into this thing for about... oh ... I guess close to oh $35K to $40K over the last 6 years!!! you scared yet??? Buckle your seat belt its a fun ride!!! after you make syrup you will also see why its so expensive to produce!!!

Sweet Shady Lane
10-03-2014, 09:23 PM
Oh it will work trust me that's how I started , It's a drug and every spring you will need a fix. and then YOU WILL NEED MORE, Now I am up to 60 taps and a 24"x 33" hobby pan and no more trees to tap.

NhShaun
10-04-2014, 01:21 AM
I was looking in to these trays and seems like they will surely work. But like everyone said, you are going to get hooked. I'm trying to find some used 2x3 ish pans or a metal shop to make me some at an affordable price. Hoping to find someone who has experience with fabricating pans for maple syrup specifically, easier said than done.

lpakiz
10-04-2014, 07:25 AM
I will add, from experience, that it's very hard to spend a $100 when you are starting out. After you sell $50, it's gets easier.

maple flats
10-04-2014, 07:40 AM
I agree with the others. Many start with steam pans. For the money you are talking I'd check into a small used flat pan. They are available many places. Check ebay, Craig's list, Bascom Maple, and several other equipment dealers. Also put out a Wanted ad on this sight. Look for something in the 3 to 6 sq ft of flat area. Then make an arch out of cement blocks. While turkey friers do ok they are very costly to run. Propane refills quickly add up. By the way, my first year I started with 27 taps and by mid season I had 70.

Ausable
10-04-2014, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=jmello6085;259836]Any advice as to whether this would work as an evaporator pan? I can't afford an expensive one and I will only be tapping 5-10 trees this spring. Was going to buy 2 of these and boil over my outdoor fire pit.

All good advice . But ------- If You have never made maple syrup.... DO It! No matter what You use. It is all important to break the ice and make your first batch of maple syrup. You will learn a lot by doing it and build Your confidence in the process. As soon as You can afford one - Buy a syrup hydrometer and test cup (or make your own test cup). The syrup hydrometer will enable You to make top notch maple syrup. Best of luck Pal. ---Mike---

Jebediah
10-04-2014, 07:02 PM
There is a funny video on YouTube where a guy reads a poem about making syrup for first time, and winds up perplexed as to how it can be sold "so cheap." It was on this site before, I think.

Weekend_Warrior
10-29-2014, 05:24 AM
I use 4 pans like these lined up on a block arch. If you go this route, attach some handles to the sides. It makes pouring the end of one pan into the next easier at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk