PDA

View Full Version : Per tap value

David Lyman
09-20-2014, 08:35 PM
Any info or thoughts on a per tap value to consider in the pricing of a piece of property? There is not a whole lot of value to the property other than the maples.

slybird353
09-21-2014, 01:29 AM
There is not a whole lot of value to the property other than the maples.
Maybe I do not understand the statement or maybe you are saying there is only some maples on the land? Land with maples on it in the UP of Mi can be five times more valuable than pasture. Per tap value? To many variables. When we look at a piece of property we measure/pace off a 104'x104' square piece of land, count all the maples and then double it for a maple tree per acre count. 50+ tappable trees per acre was our minimum, 75+ per acre is a good looking bush.

n8hutch
09-21-2014, 06:02 AM
I would think the Best way to Value Any piece of Land with standing timber would be To Hire A lisenced Forester/ Realtor , A trust worthy one. While A untapped Sugar Bush might Certainly be worth more to the right person that Value is more of A potential Value, kind of like the potential of any large tracked of land that you could buy for 1,500. Per Acre and then subdivide and sell for 20,000. Per acre, the potential value was always there but the person that sold it to you didn't necessarily do the work.

maple flats
09-21-2014, 07:45 AM
It seems to me that 104 x 104 is only 1/4 acre, wouldn't you multiply X 4? When I signed leases I calculated the tappable trees per acre on the portions I would tap since not all sections of the property were the same. Then I looked for at least 75/acre on those areas. If I was buying I'd do the same but I would want the tappable areas to be a good % of the total or I'd want the non tappable areas to have some other value to me, such as timber, hunting or other recreation or farming.
Are you looking to buy, sell, lease or lease out?

GeneralStark
09-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Any info or thoughts on a per tap value to consider in the pricing of a piece of property? There is not a whole lot of value to the property other than the maples.

There doesn't seem to be any hard fast rule to valuing land, especially in VT, if that's where this parcel is. If the land can never be developed for whatever reason, elevation, soils, etc...then it would likely be valued as a woodlot which is based on the value of the timber and its potential to grow more timber.

There is an appraisal system used by realtors and banks to value land, so that may be a good place to start, and also looking at the for sale prices for land in the area this parcel is in. Generally, it seems that land value is really based on what someone is willing to pay for it. In this part of the state and in Franklin County people are buying up decent sugar woods lands at well over $2000/acre.

slybird353
09-21-2014, 09:14 AM
It seems to me that 104 x 104 is only 1/4 acre, wouldn't you multiply X 4
I stand corrected!!!! Feeling a little embarrassed to tell you the truth. Dave you are my new best buddy as I just doubled the potential tap count on a piece of property we are buying.

Mark
09-21-2014, 11:41 AM
That is horizontal distance and with the steep slope you have there may be a tad more. Also a 40 is not always 40 acres, it depends how big the section is. I am on the west side of a township where the + or - correction would be and have an extra 190 feet X 3/4 mile.

http://www.blm.gov/cadastral/Manual/73man/id147_bm3_74.htm

maple flats
09-21-2014, 06:13 PM
I stand corrected!!!! Feeling a little embarrassed to tell you the truth. Dave you are my new best buddy as I just doubled the potential tap count on a piece of property we are buying.
slybird, if you were going 75 taps on 1/2 acre (104 x 104 doubled) you have too many trees on the acre. You need some serious thinning, however, if the 75 was correct for a full acre you are in the right ball park. If the trees are spaced closer than that the crowns are not able to get big and then the sugar % is lower. It is the leaves that make the sugar.

slybird353
09-21-2014, 08:02 PM
While there is many tappable trees on the property there is very few old growth maples. The trees are tall with smaller crowns and yes the current count will be 100+ per acre. With that being said, the property was select cut seven years ago and there is still plenty of open canopy.