PDA

View Full Version : 55 gal drum cut down for pan-why not?

Broglea
09-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I was thinking of a cheap way to come up with a larger pan for this spring. The thought came to me to use a steel 55 gal drum. I would have to cut it down so the end result would be a round pan that I could use on a block arch. What's wrong with this idea?

happy thoughts
09-19-2014, 05:27 PM
You'd need one that was food grade and that has never contained anything that wasn't edible. If you pass that hurdle, then there's the difficulty in cleaning seams and crevices and preventing rust. A round pot would be hard to fit onto a square block arch for efficient use of heat. IMHO you're better off turning it into a barrel evaporator and fitting it with relatively inexpensive SS hotel steam pans.

SeanD
09-19-2014, 08:43 PM
I sympathize - looking for affordable surface area, but Happy is right on. I don't like to tell people they can't do something, but you might want to steer clear of this one. Maybe if it was a stainless steel drum that had food or syrup in it. The middle would be really deep - maybe you could hammer it flatter. Maybe it is possible.

For the same amount of effort and a little more money you could make a pan out of a sheet of stainless. If you have access to a brake, it's not too bad and there are ways to fold the corners without welding or soldering. I made two 3' pans from one 4x8 sheet.

Sean

Broglea
09-19-2014, 09:19 PM
After thinking about it a little more, I'm going to scratch the 55 gal drum idea. I think I may approach the local high school shop teacher and see if a student would make one. I would pay for the materials.

Why is everything SS. Why wouldn't mild steel work?

BreezyHill
09-20-2014, 07:15 AM
In our area there is a SS shop that guys go to for stacks and things. I could not believe how cheap the prices were. One guy told me his transition pipe for the stack was only $65. I got a price of 125 from the evap dealer for the same in galv.

I bet if you supplied the materials the HS shop would be happy to do the project especially if you brought in some doughnuts or something.

Good Luck!

Ben

happy thoughts
09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Why is everything SS. Why wouldn't mild steel work?

SS is preferred because it is durable, nonreactive, and doesn't rust. Mild steel can work too. I know there are a few on this forum who have made and use mild steel pans or are using ones that have been passed down to them. As I understand from what I've read here, a good layer of gunk on the inside from boiling will act as a protective coating to keep down rust. You should be able to find a couple of threads about mild steel pans if you search for them. Someone that uses mild steel may also answer here eventually.

Broglea
09-22-2014, 04:17 PM
The high school welding teacher told me they would fabricate one for me. All I have to do is supply the metal. Can't beat that!

SeanD
09-22-2014, 09:43 PM
That's what I did for my first pan. 18 gauge was as thin as they would go, but I couldn't beat the price. Now if those teachers could only show the kids how to make a flue pan!

Sean