PDA

View Full Version : pipe spool

PerryFamily
09-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Anyone have a source for a pipe spool? Looking for a steel one to mount on a small trailer.
Reasonably priced of course.

GeneralStark
09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Define reasonably priced. Leader sells one for like $500.

I built one out of scrap 2x4 that works very well.

cncaboose
09-18-2014, 12:31 PM
We got one from Tractor Supply that works well for 500' of 3/4" main. Cost well under $100. Made a smaller one from scratch for the lateral lines for next to nothing.

western mainer
09-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Can't find the spool on line at TS do you have a link or part number?
Thanks Brian

GeneralStark
09-18-2014, 05:06 PM
Perhaps cn is referring to this? I have one I use for wire, but maybe you could fit a coil of pipe on it? I actually inquired at the local tractor supply about a spinning jenny for pipe but they said this is all they sell.

PerryFamily
09-18-2014, 06:46 PM
I would think a couple hundred bucks seems reasonable.

I have a wire jenny from Wellscroft fence supply.

I guess I could built one.

maple flats
09-18-2014, 07:17 PM
I built one out of sq. tube that cost just over $100 in parts. It is adjustable, spins on the stand riding on a large nylon washer to reduce friction. I do have 1 problem with it, I made the tubing carriage out of 3/4" sq tubing with an overall of 5' measured across the 2 intersecting supports. Then I have 18" uprights welded to 1" sq tube x 2.5" long pieces with a set screw to position the tubing coil. My only issue it that I need to add a full circle of maybe 3/4" EMT to weld to the outer tips of the frame to hold the tubing on top. Without that I can not pull and just walk, I need someone at the spooler to keep the tubing pulling from above the spooler and not let it go slack and sag below the 4 support spokes. Aside from that it works very well.

unc23win
09-18-2014, 10:03 PM
I realize that not everybody has the tools or the materials, but I thought this was worth sharing. I built this one last year is an old U-Haul trailer I found in the woods. I welded a frame out of 1" black pipe. When the trailer is is unhooked you put a pipe through the spool and then roll it up on the trailer and the pipe slides/rolls up the side rails then it drops down into horse shoes which hold the pipe in place. It spins very nice no need for a second person. I am going to put my high tensile Jenny on it this season then I can pull pipe and wire both at the same time. Previously I used my loader on my tractor, but this frees up the tractor and I find I can get it in tighter places. 98259826

BreezyHill
09-19-2014, 08:39 AM
Jared,
Awesome design! I built one that goes into the 2" receiver on our Artic Cat TBX Atv. It is very hand and flips from vertical to horizontal for driving while paying out the line. The weight of our big rolls is to much on the ATV. Good source of materials is your local Tractor supply. They are stocking more steel as of late. your local steel fabricator is also a great source. I visit the cousins shop all the time to restock my shelves. Often what they will send for scrape is sized for our needs. You cant beat the variety either. They will custom cut to order also. Evan the steel yard distributors are custom cutting in our area and delivering to farms. Rear axles from mini vans are great for this style trailer and most auto recylers will sell them for $50 to $100. Just remove the calipers & rotors and bring back as scrap later and get some of your $$$ back.

Ben