PDA

View Full Version : re-use 5 gallon blue poly containers?

Danaputnam
09-17-2014, 10:27 AM
Can you re-use these containers? If so, what cleaning have people done?

Thanks in advance,

Dana

Bucket Head
09-17-2014, 11:00 AM
The one's offered by the maple suppliers are reusable. I use hot water only for cleaning/rinsing mine. Hot water dissolves sugar- nothing else is needed. Detergents are not used because if you don't rinse it all out, guess what your syrup will taste like? Plastic is porous and will absorb the leftover detergent.

Steve

Dennis H.
09-17-2014, 06:22 PM
I reuse mine, I use really hot water, maybe about a gal, put cap on and give a good shake. Dump and rinse again.
I do this about 3 times then I let the cap off after dumping the last time and let it sit for a day to dry out then the cap goes on lightly to keep it clean till next season.

You can get new caps if need be, but I found that they last a few seasons.

batsofbedlam
09-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Actually, the caps last as long as the containers, it's the gasket inside that needs replacing and Leader sells them for about .10 each.

Danaputnam
09-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated.

Dana

abbott
12-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Actually, the caps last as long as the containers, it's the gasket inside that needs replacing and Leader sells them for about .10 each.

I have 5 gallon blue jugs from Bascoms and I want to replace the gaskets. Bascoms lists caps but not gaskets in their catalogue. Leader also did not have gaskets listed online or in catalogue and the jugs are a different style. Do I need to call and special order? Does anyone know if the gaskets are interchangeable or have other sources that they get new gaskets from?

Thanks.