PDA

View Full Version : Question on vac pump

jwalker91
09-12-2014, 07:04 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/09/12/5be7e575312e7fecd237272f16afd856.jpg

Can any one give me any info on this vac pump its an old dairy one I had laying around.. any idea how may taps it may handle or any other info would be very appreciated

Thanks josh

BreezyHill
09-13-2014, 12:18 PM
BB2 is a decent piston pump, My dad was a surge dealer and we used one for along time on part of the bush. I believe it was rated at 12 cfm at 17" of vacuum. So if you run it to its max vac which will be around 24-25" it will only have around 2-3 cfm.

If you are running a tight system and check for leaks then 100 taps per cfm. If you don't have the time to check for leaks often then best to figure 50 taps per cfm. This pump in our operation handled about 300 on a fairly efficient releaser dumping 28 oz per cycle from a 32 oz chamber. If you run a commercial releaser then you will need a balance tank. An electric releaser will be worth the $$$ as it will not consume cfms every time it cycles.

Run hy grade vac oil in this pump and she will be a great unit if she is still tight and doesn't knock.
A water trap is a must or she wont last long. The condensation gets in the oil and ruins the bearings. You can easily make an over sized water trap from 3" PVC that will act as your balance tank. In the barn there is likely the old stainless releaser that this pump went with or it may have been used with bucket milkers only.

Great starter pump or one to run a small bush. I am keeping ours as it was our first one on the farm and the history. It was a 1952 as I recall. The sugar house was a lot quitter with it not in there...sounds like a constant chug - chug. Hey make sure you are running it at the right rpm or it will not last long either.

I have a book I can scan pages for you if you need.

Ben