PDA

View Full Version : Bricking an Inferno arch

chuck
09-07-2014, 07:03 AM
So I started working on our new to us 2x6 Inferno arch. The previous owner used ceramic blanket and 1/2bricks. I choose to go with the arch board and 1/2 bricks. Here is my dilemma; after putting up the arch board on the sides, when I brick it the bricks will stick out past the rails at the top by about 3/4". Now I have a fully raised Max Flue pan so it won't interfere with placement but my concern is possible cold spots all around the sides of both the flue pan and front pan. On Leaders website they have bricking instructions for these arches but they use brick only, no other insulation. I have been told by many that I should do more than just brick with these arches. Do I brick all the way to the top and don't worry about it or do I stop one course shy? My old evaporator was bricked only and it did fine but man did the sides get hot and that wasn't an airtight forced air arch. I have only dry fit everything to this point so changing things will be easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lpakiz
09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
I went with 1/2 bricks on edge near the top. After the last full course, I used refrac cement to taper the area from the top of the brick to the inside edge of the rail. This was perhaps 2 inches high, more or less. I figured this way would allow heat right out as far as possible under the bottom of the pan, while still protecting the metal. My theory is that no metal should be exposed directly to flame.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-07-2014, 11:26 AM
You won't have to worry about any cold spots. If you use woven rail gasket just hold it back on steel rails and you will still get plenty of heat in the 3/4".

brookledge
09-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Another option is to cut the brick on an angle with a diamond blade for the top row that way the brick are not covering the outside edge of the pan
Keith

coyote
09-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I have a Leader 2x6 WSE. I used arch board with full fire bricks. I am a mason by trade so I chipped the top edge back with a brickhammer to thin it down. I was worried about cold spots also, but have been using it for 6 years and don't notice any. I think with your 1/2 bricks I would angle them back at the top with a diamond blade grinder.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-07-2014, 07:39 PM
you dont fill the whole fire box up to the top with wood do you?
if you dont why brick to the top?

chuck
09-08-2014, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the imput guys! I will try angle cutting the top course. Flat Lander, you are right, I don't fill the fire box to the top but it is my understanding that these arches should be completely insulated and bricked. Thanks again.

lpakiz
09-08-2014, 10:48 AM
As I mentioned earlier, I think you should protect all bare metal from the flames to prevent the metal from disintegrating. Either with brick, mortar, insulation, refractory, etc. Blanket or arch board may work, fitted accordingly.