PDA

View Full Version : Tree tags

Jebediah
09-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I want to share my one-and-only innovation concerning maple syrup. I am getting access to some new trees, and I can only identify maples by their leaves (ie not when it's time to tap). So I have to mark them beforehand. Here's my invention: cut up a soda/beer can into small rectangles. You can get about 70 of these "tree tags" out of a single can. Just attach to tree with small nail. Thought about patenting, but decided to go with this public disclosure instead. Let the revolution begin...

wnybassman
09-06-2014, 07:05 PM
I want to share my one-and-only innovation concerning maple syrup. I am getting access to some new trees, and I can only identify maples by their leaves (ie not when it's time to tap). So I have to mark them beforehand. Here's my invention: cut up a soda/beer can into small rectangles. You can get about 70 of these "tree tags" out of a single can. Just attach to tree with small nail. Thought about patenting, but decided to go with this public disclosure instead. Let the revolution begin...

Hope you are not using copper nails. lol

lpakiz
09-06-2014, 08:08 PM
I marked the maple trees before I ran my tubing, and I used a can of fluorescent tree marking paint. I also mark each tap hole after I pull them, so I can find the old hole quicker the following spring. Visible from a hundred feet away.

Jebediah
09-06-2014, 08:20 PM
I marked old holes with paint first year (just a few years ago), wife got upset, so that ended rather quickly (painting holes, not my marriage). Also, I was surprised to learn that painting trees runs afoul of organic certification, apparently. But probably my nails do, too.

SeanD
09-06-2014, 08:26 PM
I tried doing this once a few years ago, but it was a huge mess. Probably should have used empty cans. You live and learn.

Sean

Jebediah
09-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Here they are, folks, 70 tags from a Canada Dry ginger ale can. Presumably it would also work with other types of cans, such as Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper. I plan on conducting some tests, and will be putting together a detailed instruction manual for anyone who wants to be on the technological leading edge.9815

wildlifewarrior
09-07-2014, 07:48 AM
http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/search.asp?cat=136&csearch=Y
Same idea no chance of slicing you hand
Mike

Jebediah
09-07-2014, 08:17 AM
Drat--beaten to market again! I wonder what type of can they used.

Jebediah
09-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Probably worth mentioning, zero risk of slicing my finger was achieved by having my children do the cutting. This will all be in the instruction manual.

3GoatHill
09-07-2014, 08:59 PM
What about Yuengling cans? Will it work with those. Maybe there should be a disclaimer in the manual about how those cans are emptied.

NhShaun
09-08-2014, 06:54 PM
But wait... there's more!

Jebediah
09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
Preliminary studies here at the Massachusetts Maple Research Institute (MMRI) suggest that while Yuengling cans do work, they consistently yield very irregularly-shaped tree tags. Another notable finding is that glass bottles perform poorly.

3GoatHill
09-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Yuengling bottle caps!! I'll use the caps! I'm a genius. ;)

Jebediah
09-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Brilliant indeed. You will need to put your shoulder to the wheel and start generating your supply.

LDF
01-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Most Yuengling cans probably would, not sure about this one though.

jpcole
01-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Yuengling bottle caps!! I'll use the caps! I'm a genius. ;)

You should wear gloves while cutting your caps, Safety First!

As most of us are concerned about the enviroment, it should also be noted in the manual that the contents of all cans should be properly disposed of. BOTTOMS UP!

maple flats
01-27-2015, 04:55 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to learn to ID the maples in winter? After you have marked those trees with leaves, look closely now, as you tap. You will see what the bark looks like and how the limbs look. Also, look in the canopy, maples have opposite side branching. For this you need to look to the newer growth because most times one side gets broken off before it gets much size.

mellondome
01-27-2015, 05:28 AM
And dispose of contents well in advance of marking trees.

sugarsand
01-27-2015, 06:40 AM
Here's my thought, while I know it's hard work emptying all those cans, you could make good use of your time by laying on the ground studying the tree tops. I will try and perfect this technique next Summer and report back all my findings.

dogpatch
01-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Bottle caps are rather small, you may need several per tree. This much volume may require a work day.I am available.

LDF
01-27-2015, 09:58 AM
Regarding the use of tags, the forestry supply link is a good one. I have used the rectangle aluminum tags to tag trees at work in our nursery. Usually to record the month and year that the trees were root pruned. I thought they were easy to work with and last for years.

I was thinking about using tags to mark trees in our surgarbush so I could keep track of individual tree information on a spreadsheet. I don't tap that many trees so it seemed like a reasonable undertaking. I am now in the process of mapping the surgarbush with gps instead of tagging.

Shiftman
01-27-2015, 02:51 PM
I agree with maple flats.

Look up, Its really easy to tell by the bark pattern. Also red maples have large buds at the end of the twigs which are easily spotted from the ground. Sugar maples have no buds.

When we surveyed our bush, we wrapped twine around the trees. It comes off easy and is biodegradable, also you can spot it from any side of the tree. You could tie a special knot or only wrap the reds.

Marcus
01-27-2015, 05:01 PM
Sugar Maples do have buds, they are a lot smaller and cone shaped.

morningstarfarm
01-27-2015, 06:25 PM
Ok ... Have read and reread this a couple times...maybe I'm just wierd, but why would you ever want to drive a nail into a maple? Have used flagging tape for years and it works awesome...orange for sugars...pink for reds and yellow for lines set at the height I want them to run...first thing i do is walk through and inventory all the trees on a given piece...makes planning the bush much easier...but maybe that's just me...

BAP
01-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Marking trees with beer cans and nails sounds like a flatlander method. Kind of like the hunters that are to dumb to find their tree stands again without driving tacks into trees to find their way in and out of the woods.

LDF
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Seeing how the the original post was more about tree ID, as opposed to making tags or how to acquire the tag making materials :D. I agree with previous posters about learning to ID trees during all seasons. It means spending time in the woods, if part of the learning process and building confidence involves marking trees when they are easily identified then I say go for it. I would also agree with Shiftman and morningstarfarm that flagging/twine is a much better option than tags.

I should mention that a majority of the nursery trees I tagged where multistem birch trees, plenty of small branches to tie the tags to. I never used nails to tag nursery trees, although, if I would have went through with tagging trees in my sugarbush I would have used nails (aluminum) to ensure the tags stayed in place.

johnallin
01-28-2015, 03:49 PM
I think with text and email it's sometimes hard to tell if some one's poking you in the eye - or in the ribs. ;-). Don't think this was a very serious post, just the result of sheer boredom.

Maplesapper
01-29-2015, 06:57 AM
Why are you looking for the old holes?

sugarsand
01-29-2015, 09:42 AM
Johnallin, I completely agree, it started out as a little humor then went serious. Sometimes we need to step back, loosen up and laugh a little.:):D:lol::rolleyes:

sugarsand

Jebediah
02-12-2015, 08:16 PM
I use tacks to find my way from the back door, across the yard, to the woods with the marked trees. I mark them very year, just to be on the safe side. They look like porcupines at this point.

lpakiz
02-12-2015, 11:43 PM
Maplesapper,
I look for the old holes so I dont tap in the same spot the following years. Most syrup producers will tap their trees in a pattern around the tree. Finding the old holes from a distance will quickly show the pattern, and thus where to drill this years hole.

Tidajo
03-03-2015, 06:00 PM
My 2015 lesson learned.
Don't use nice shiny brass tags.
They tarnish and are impossible to see later......