PDA

View Full Version : 3/16 tubing installation

Mellandermaple
09-05-2014, 03:52 PM
I have 450 taps I want to convert to 3/16. I have done a considerable amount of research on this and have bought tubing and fittings from D & G. I attended a workshop on this a couple of years ago at Verona and would have converted then except for the hassle of getting tubing and fittings at that time. My questions have to do with how to reroute my lines to get maximum vacuum. Most of my lines have moderate to steep slope at the top, leveling out to a gentle slope near the mainline. I am not sure what to do with the trees that are near the mainline that would not have the recommended 30 ' drop before entering the mainline. I could run parallel to the mainline and connect further down, but I would have to go quite a distance to get 30' drop. I also might start a new lateral using the trees in question and pass the point where those trees now connect , pick up other trees close to the mainline and connect in downline or even go all the way to the tank. My other thought is to not worry about the trees close to the mainline, figuring that some vacuum on those trees is better than none. I also want to see if it might be feasible to eliminate the mainlines altogether to get the maximum possible vertical drop or at least some of the upper part of the mainlines, and bundle the laterals together using the existing mainline supports.

Also, is there any consensus of how many taps per lateral? I am thinking of trying to get somewhere between 15 and 25.

I am new to this site. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

sjdoyon
09-05-2014, 05:42 PM
Here's the UVM research on the topic.

http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/highvacuum.pdf

Machinist67
09-05-2014, 06:06 PM
Here is a link that really helps answer your questions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQX9L1KnBh8

optionguru
12-26-2014, 12:47 PM
That video was very helpful. Thanks

psparr
12-27-2014, 07:08 PM
My 2 cents on the lower trees, you could hook them up on 5/16 gravity and dump them into the mainline. You only need 30' of drop. you won't gain more vacuum with more height.