PDA

View Full Version : delaval 75 reclaimer build

nicholastzito
09-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Hoping to pick up a d75 with elec. motor this weekend. Doesn't appear to have a reclaimer. I'll be running somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-500 taps this year - and i've never run vacuum before. Obviously I'm open to what you all have to say.

Seems like a lot of you guys recommend attaching a reclaimer due to exhaust and obviously not buying new oil every year.
I've seen a few recommend having the exhaust uphill from the pump into the reclaimer.

Would someone mind walking me through construction a reclaimer? Seems like it should be fairly simple, but I'm a visual learner and photos of what your setup is like would be helpful.

Thanks.

BreezyHill
09-05-2014, 09:34 AM
I have a D 75 and it takes a fairly large reclaimer if you are running high vac. Reason being it is a large body pump that will go thru a fair amount of oil to keep it cool. If it is original it will have metal vanes. That is a huge plus as they cool faster than Kevlar vanes as steel is a better conductor of heat.

For best results have the exhausted line run at a slight pitch to the reclaimer. This will cause any condensation in the exhaust line to run to the reclaimer and be separated out on the bottom and be drained away. The 75 is a reservoir style unit and any moisture will settle in the reservoir and cause rusting of the unit and the oil filtration screens within.

The design of the reclaimer body will depend on what items you have available and tools you have. Mig welder vs ark welder, torch, hole saw ???

Basic design is simple:
Outer wall round container that will have an inlet so that the exhausted air and vapor will swirl around the side of the container. This will cause the vapor to condensate on impact with the cooler container wall.

The bottom of the container is best to be slightly concave so that the center can have a drain valve installed for moisture removal.

a short distance from the bottom will need a threaded port installed to accept a valve and an oil filter and a second valve to isolate the filter for changing.

The oil capacity level of the reclaimer will need to be monitored by way of a sight tube attached to the oil port.

Oil lines can be teed into the oil filter outlet with the bottom of the reservoir of the 75 plumbed to this manifold.

The 75 is not your standard run of the mill vacuum pump. It is very well designed for cooling with an oil line that sucks off of the reservoir to lubricate the bushing on the cover side and the vanes. If the reservoir becomes over filled it will damage the pump and reduces its cooling capacity thru the motor mount and reservoir body.

I have rebuilt a few 75 units that had a port that supplied oil to the pulley end bearing thru the shaft from the reservoir. This is not on all units and great care must be exercised in greasing the bearing if the bearing is not oil fed.

Adjustable support legs are a great design addition to get the perfect height to match the pumps oil level.

I will get some pics of a reclaimer I used last season and will draw up plans for my next reclaimer. It will be larger than what you need as I run a few pumps parallel to get the cfms I need for my system.

If you come across some 2" fin tube let me know that is a great product to use between the pump and RC.

Let me know what you have access to for supplies and we can design around that to save you $$$.

Ben

nicholastzito
09-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I do not have any welding tools other than a torch. I;m not afraid to buy some, as I'll probably need them eventually, but dont expect my skill level to be high on the first try. Other than that I pretty much have every tool known to man.

As for supplies, I don't have a lot kicking around, but I work for an old farmer's sawmill on the weekends, so I can probably scrap together parts from assorted machinery (old tractors, log trucks, etc). There is a welder at the shop - I'd have to chase down the boss's son to have to do something for me. I could probably get away with doing something fairly cheap with his help.

Other than that, I'm fairly resourceful when it comes to finding things out int he world. So finding assorted parts shouldn't be too hard.

Looking forward to hearing more